Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the alternator harness

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Re: Incompatible alternator/ harness...

Actually, there have been three different alternator HARNESSES for the vans: 1984, 1985, and 1986-89. All are now NLA. The differences in the harnesses have nothing to do with the connector to the alternator itself, but rather other connectors included in the harness. 1984 has no oil level sensor wire because there's no oil level sensor. 1985 has oil level sensor wiring connectors that only mate with the 1985 (3Y) oil level sensor AND the corresponding oil level sensor wire in the 1985 chassis wiring harness. The function of the wire is identical to the 1986-1989 oil level sensor wire, but the connectors won't allow the harnesses to interchange without splicing in the appropriate connectors (guess how I learned ).

The alternators themselves are totally interchangeable and the same for all years despite part number supersessions.

I'd get a Denso (or rebuilt Denso) alternator. Even if for some bizarre reason the harness on your van has been molested and has a nonstandard connector, a spare alternator is always a good thing to have on hand.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    According to Toyota's reman guide, there's 3 different alternators used in these vans, depending on manufacture date....

This is true, however all 3 of these alternators are 100% interchangeable. There are slight internal changes. The earlier ones are rated at 60A and the later ones are rated at 70A. Tim

PS: Thanks for sharing that guide with us

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

www.rockauto.com has these for a much more reasonable price than Toyota. The only difference is you won't get the box that says "Toyota"

My Van(s):
    89' LE 5spd 2wd

SOLVED!

Of course the root cause of the problem is between my ears. When removing the old alternator, my helper must have been a little hard on the connectors. The plastic came off the alternator and stayed in the quick connect. I assumed that if had been properly disconnected and repeatedly tried to force the new connector on top of the old one. Better lighting for now on!!! Thanks for the help All, I am sure to be back as the project continues. But at least now I'll be up and running!
    -chris

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 cargo tv

melted alternator plug, anyone got an extra on they could snip?

okay so this looks like the fault of accumulated psf. thought I had fixed the leak with a new hose but i guess there was still a small drip.

anyone got one of these they could sell me or any crafty ideas.
    Thanks, Niko.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: melted alternator plug, anyone got an extra on they could snip?

The harness for the van has been discontinued, but there are lots and lots of similar harnesses on other models in the salvage yards. You could chop that end off of one then solder/shrink tube it to your existing harness. For an emergency repair you could do what I did (below). The spades inside the alternator are standard so you can make each connection individually (just don't mix them up). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van 2WD YR29LV-PREA VIN JT4YR29V4K5072375

Alternator Wiring Pigtail Connector

I replaced the alternator pigtail connector on my 89' 2WD van with one I found at the salvage yard that was on a 88' Camry. It fit just fine but the wire gauge was smaller and the wires were different color. I may have spliced it on incorrectly. I want to take the pigtail connector off and use three clips instead but need a diagram that shows which wire connects to where. Can somebody please help?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Alternator Wiring Pigtail Connector

Here's a diagram I marked up with the wire colors used on van harnesses:

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van 2WD YR29LV-PREA VIN JT4YR29V4K5072375

Re: Alternator Wiring Pigtail Connector

Wow! That's perfect. Thank you so much.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota le 5 speed

Re: Replacing the alternator harness

I cannot find the 4y or 3y harnesses anywhere. The post is awesome however, and very helpful. So goi are saying. Can use a 91 Corolla harness, which might be eAsier to find and fix the problem. My harness melted at the end that it's info the alternator so I. New one.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, I heard they were all gone. I always had one or two new ones rat-holed away, but I just used my last one a couple weeks ago. I guess the future will require repairing and/or modifying other harnesses to fit. There are lots of cars out there that use the same connectors, so modifying shouldn't be too hard. The round plug with 3 wires is probably the only part you need, and you get those on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alternator-R...3D161823358577. Oh the joys of owning old & obsolete vehicles . Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota le 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by JPERL View Post
    Wire Harness NLA just tried to order
    w
    As not able to find a wiring harness either. What did you do? What do you suggest?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota le 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Yeah, I heard they were all gone. I always had one or two new ones rat-holed away, but I just used my last one a couple weeks ago. I guess the future will require repairing and/or modifying other harnesses to fit. There are lots of cars out there that use the same connectors, so modifying shouldn't be too hard. Oh the joys of owning old & obsolete vehicles . Tim
    would you happen to know what cArs, I should start sourcing, use the same connectors by any chance? Thanks, jay

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lots of cars use variations of our Denso alternators. Many are the exact same alternator, just slightly different mounts. Even other brands like Honda and some Chevy's used them. I would stick to Toyota though (less chance of mismatch). Most Toyotas from the same era will have the same alternator connections. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

I had my auto electric shop fabricate one using my old one as a template

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Re: Christmas lights continued

Can you folks tell me which color wire goes to which blade of the alternator end of the harness? When I pulled my alternator out, the wires came out of the corroded plastic plug.
    Name:  Alternator plug.JPG
Views: 1469
Size:  76.5 KB
    This is the other end of the harness:
    Name:  Alternator harness end.JPG
Views: 1176
Size:  30.8 KB
    I don't mind duplicating the "hack job" Tim showed in an old thread, or more likely just embedding the connectors into the plug shell in the right places and cementing them in with RTV or Plast-Aid, but I don't know how to tell what goes where.

Thanks,
    John

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Great! This is exactly what I needed; thanks, Tim.
    Last edited by Jbbishop2; 05-27-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota le 5 speed

you will not believe it, but i found the exact make, model, and year of my lil van in a junkyard 40 minutes from durham nc. there are not a lot these vans in this part of the country.

the vanwagon angels were shinning down on me , as the alt wiring harness was there and the engine was clean, so the dismantling process was not that hard or messy. it only had 150,000 miles on it, belonged to one owner, who treated it kindly, and it had been parked for several years before being sold to the junk man.

i am considering buying the van for parts. oh did i mention it is a five speed as well. amazing luck.

i should play the lottery today. it seems that most of toyovan enthusiast i read on the forums have one, if not two, three, four or five vans in tow at any given time just to keep one on the road. lol.

i bought my 1984 off the streets of northeast portland oregon in 1999 and have driven it coast to coast several times, and up and down the I5 corridor enroute to rivers, mountains, trails, and discos since putting my first of four alternators in it in 2001, thank you autozone for lifetime warranties, and it has not failed me yet. i must fix the power steering.pump soon.

by the way this last time the alternator caught on fire when i started it. right at the female end were the alt wire harness fits in. the harness melted. ever heard of that happening?

had to leave it in florida for a few months while i.looked for this part. flying down there today to attempt to repair and drive it back up to north carolina. any thoughts on causes or cautions with respect to fire?

thanks.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

I don't think I'll monkey around with trying to fix the old harness connector shell; a new replacement on eBay is only $11.25:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151303054390?item=151303054390
    Name:  $(KGrHqYOKpsE3tk9Qzu2BN9L5wTu5Q~~_12.JPG
Views: 1361
Size:  26.2 KB