Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the alternator harness

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Re: Christmas lights continued

The eBay connector came with short leads installed, but I pulled them out and slipped in the spade connectors already on the alternator harness wires:
    Name:  AltHarness.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  36.5 KB

The connectors on the short leads each had a tang that clipped them into the shell, but the ones on the harness did not, so to keep them from backing out when the plug was inserted, I potted them in with RTV:
    Name:  AltConnPotted.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  64.9 KB

When the harness is installed, at idle the battery is charging and the Christmas lights are still gone:
    Name:  VanDashDisplay.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  51.0 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Alternator Repair Harness Problems

Hi! I have been looking up how to connect the alternator to the harness for days now. I just replaced the alternator in my van and when we were disconnecting the old one realized that the plug was missing. What I have instead is the wire in the uploaded photo, which is obviously connected to the wiring harness but is definitely not long enough to reach the alternator. It's pretty clean and the area around the terminals on my old alternator is pretty clean so I can tell there was something connecting the two parts. I looked all over to find what could have been connecting that part to the alternator, and ended up ordering this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NIPPONDE...5d6436&vxp=mtr

So, this connects to the alternator but I have no idea what to do with the three wires. I have seen some instructions on which wires go where, but how do I connect them with that weird harness plug that is already in my van?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: Alternator Repair Harness Problems

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ll=1#post10734
    Timsrv, Post 28. That's which color wires go to it.
    As for electrical connectors-I would get one from the junk yard and solder/heat shrink a used one on. Or if you can't find that male harness for that connector you could use three sets of spade connectors and make your own "harness".
    Last edited by djshimon; 07-11-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Re: Replacing the alternator harness

This thread seemed like the best place to post this. I'd like to fab together a new alternator harness. I don't know jack about wiring/electricity etc., but I watched a ton of McGyver episodes growing up so I bet I could figure it out with a little help. ha! Thanks..

Here's what mine looked like as I just took it out and stripped the decaying flaking wrapper to old harness.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 9.44.02 PM.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  19.5 KB

alternator connection on left. "+ box" on right. I did not unwrap and remove oil level sensor wire usually bundled with the harness. It looked fine and is working.

I'm stuck at what kind and size/gage wires to get??? I may save a little and use the same terminals, but only if I can open them up clean and it works out. The black clips seem to still be in good shape...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 9.44.36 PM.jpg 
Views:	1061 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	1729

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 9.44.53 PM.jpg 
Views:	1037 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	1730
    Alternator end of harness.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 9.45.02 PM.jpg 
Views:	1036 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	1731

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 9.45.18 PM.jpg 
Views:	1048 
ID:	1732
    Wires leading to "+ box". Looks like one is slightly larger ?

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 9.44.20 PM.jpg 
Views:	1030 
ID:	1735
    Fried "+ box".

I hunted high and low for something to replace + box. I had no luck locally. Anyone have any suggestions ?

If not, I found a few a few types of junction leads online. I may order something like below. Does it matter what kind of junction to get?

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 2.40.21 PM.jpg 
Views:	1047 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	1733

Thank you for any help! Respec!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

As far as I know the + box is still available through Toyota. I ordered a couple last year and there was no problem getting them. They are Toyota part #82671-28020 & go for around $15 each. You can get the 3-wire Denso plug on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alternator-R...3D161823358577. It comes with enough wire to splice into. Butt connectors would work, but for this location I would recommend solder & shrink tube.

I have the special crimpers for putting eyes on the bigger wire & I could easily fabricate these. If there's enough interest I could probably make up a few and sell to anybody who wants one. Toyota was selling these for around $65 before they dried up...........anyone willing to pay $50 each for ones made by me? If 10 or more people want one I'll make up a batch. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

Re: Alternator Repair Harness Problems

I picked up one of these a while ago while doing a harness repair.

The plug fits right into the alternator, and I just cut out the plug end you have pictured and replaced it with a few different good quality quick connects.

Works great so far!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

I have a trusted source at toyota that digs for me when parts are needed. No luck on the box. He even dug pretty deep to see if he could find a harness laying around somewhere. No luck. Not to say box is not out there, he just couldn't get one for me.

I'm on a tight budget so I've got to try and build my own using what I can from old harness. If I had the cash Tim, I'd take 2 or 3. Thanks for being willing. Tim I bet you'd make some good money if you had your own online store going.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'd make money unless I had big buying power. I checked into some of the materials and found some to be quite expensive. The high temp braided loom that covers the harness goes for almost $4 per foot! (and that's if I buy 50 or more ft at a time). The Denso plug goes for around $12, then there's the other Denso style plug that goes to the van harness (didn't look that one up yet) the wire, terminals, and the boot. Not including labor, to make a reasonable copy (without the oil level sensor part) would likely cost me $40+ each. After getting that far I decided it's not worth my time. Next time I need one I may make a few and put them for sale here (in the classifieds), but that won't be anytime soon. Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

I ordered the 82671-28020 about a month ago, sitting on my desk as we speak, just waiting for install.
    Now I WISH I had only paid $15 for it, probably best if we don't talk about that aspect, at all.
    I do tend to lose it whenever we start talking about Cdn parts pricing.

Your guy should be able to get one.
    BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I had no problems, but it's been almost a year since I got mine. More & more I find things are here today & gone tomorrow. Canada does a lot of things better than the US, but they suck on pricing parts. At lease we do better on that here in the US............IMO we're paying about 3X too much. Thanks for sharing as it takes the sting out knowing that you Canucks are paying 8X too much . Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Hey Tim,

I thought there was an older thread where you had found an outfit that specialized in rebuilding wiring harnesses.
    Is that the case or am I thinking of something else?
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There's a member here "wirewrkr" that has a business rebuilding motorcycle wire harnesses. He had posted a link to his website & this type thing looked to be right up his alley. He hasn't been around for a while though. I just checked his website and see it's gone now too. Maybe that's the thread you're thinking of? Anyhow, I hope he's okay & still has a van. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

I love these forums..but I sure wish I didn't have to spend so much time here. I've dug through so many posts and I just can't seem to nail what's going on with my van.

I'd like to post the nice pictures I took of my harness build. But I'm not so sure I did things correctly.

Been dealing with electrical issues for a little while now. (hope this is ok to ask this here in this thread...) I thought it was alternator issue to begin with. I've been through 3..or 4 now. In past 3 months or so. No the steering pump is not leaking. Alternators have been clean. The last one the shop said it was faulty and they told me they would rebuild. I believe it is a Denso. Put returned alternator back in.

In the mean time, after doing research here, realized my van did not have FL 2.0L OR FL 0.5G ! Weird that I actually drove van for about a year with no issues until now. SO, I replaced FL 1.25B, and added the FL 0.5G and FL 2.0. I figured I might as well build new harness as well. So I fabbed together new harness and also put in new junction box to replace burned "+ box"...got everything buttoned up. Van started and ran nicely, no xmas lights. Battery terminal initially showed 13.8 v at start up. Drove for about an hour then things went dim and barely made it home. I took a small video I can post later, showing all the lights flickering everywhere as I idled and rev'd the engine. Van sat overnight. In the morning van won't start now.

I'm stumped. Could it be that i did not build harness proper? Any help is much appreciated. I'm about to set everything on fire at this point ...

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

My main issue was with on-going intermittent no cranking but also had issues with charging circuit.
    I too was missing the 2.0 and .5 FL's.
    I went through 2x FL1.25B and while doing some body work had occasion to pull the main harness.
    I started at the FL1.25B and worked backwards then I found a failed factory splice which caused me to look further.
    In the end I cut out a zillion factory splices, replaced about 5 miles of wire (essentially everything in the engine bay area) I found issues with the wiring for things ranging from start and charging circuits to engine management to lighting to you name it.

The wiring for FL1.25B disappears into the main harness behind the battery, along the frame rail and up into the engine bay. There are several wires that splice off all the wires to that FL (alt, starter, 60AMP fuse, +ve power post………).
    While I am not yet able to claim that I have fixed my issues (it came off the road for a 2 week repair, 7 months ago and is still apart )
    I am truly expecting things to be a WHOLE lot better.
    Silver wires (copper depleted) are not very conductive, nor are green splices.
    There are pics in the other thread ("xmas lights continued", IIRC)

I would go back over the repairs you've already done, just to make sure something in the alternator harness didn't come apart but if that doesn't show any smoking guns, also check to make sure the "good" alternator isn't to blame.
    But if all those check out fine, I would then dig further into the main harness.
    BB

PS - I just looked at your pictures again and realized that the wiring that can be seen looked very similar to all that I have replaced.
    What I found was key to the whole procedure was that any wire that felt stiff or looked "dirty" (at first I just thought it was dirt) turned out to be damaged wiring.
    After a while I stopped cutting open insulation and just replaced anything that was stiff, occasionally I would double check what I had just cut-out, but even stopped that after a few times of confirming my suspicions.
    I also found that if one part of a circuit had issues, I was almost guaranteed I would find more further downstream, hence the rec to dig further into the harness.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Thanks burnt. I saw your other thread and I don't think I'm willing to do that kind of work. Would rather push it off Big Sur and let it sink... I'm hoping I find a mistake in my harness build or my fusible link work. Or hoping the alternator my shop "fixed" is not actually fixed.

Jumped the van this afternoon and it runs without being on jumper cables. Volts at battery are reading between 9 and 10 volts. Battery reading 11.5 or so when not running. Anything else anyone knows that I can test while running, or not running to rule out, or narrow down issue?

Anyone have a photo of the upper connection on the alternator harness where wires connect?? I have a feeling I might have not clicked the wires into the connector in their proper location...

I'll post pictures this evening to see what you all think...

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Ok. I may have found my issue. I used a life line and phoned a friend. Got a picture of the upper alternator connection. I suppose I could have just looked at the male end of upper connection in van to realize my mistake... doh! When I built the harness, I clicked the wires into the plastic clip wrong. I swapped the "IG" Terminal and the "B" Terminal. "IG" Terminal is the ignition switch to turn the regulator on. And the "B" Terminal is the Grounds and warning lamp terminal.

Not sure if this is going to solve all my problems. But I've fixed the harness and proceeding.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    90 2ct townace 4wd

alternator plug problem

i suffered an age old symptom of red battery and orange engine check lights flicking on/off on the dash, engine stuttering thought it was a bad earth or something, first i checked all the fuses under the dash and in the engine bay, found none blown but the red battery light and orange cel still show on dash, usually means dead battery or alternator. i had recently disconnected my alternator so i thought i would look and see if i made good connection with the plug. it was plugged in tight but I pulled back the heat proof sheathing and found this:

er

i guess over the years of people working around the area the cable got frayed, as luck would have it it frayed right next to the plug so i thought i was screwed, and would have to find one at a junk yard with long cable.

on closer investigation of the oem plug i removed the rubber dust cap on the back and found using a small screwdriver you can actually release the spade pins from the plug quite easily, they have a little spring latch (barb) where the green arrow shows, just push it in with a tiny scredriver from the open end of the plug and the pins pop out with a little tug.

bad luck went to good luck... my local parts store had a supply of 2/3/4 pin connector plugs and they use exactly the same 1/4" latched style pins.. so i stripped the pins from the plug, attached some longer wire and they clicked right into the oem alternator plug. suprising!
    put the rubber dust cap back, just soldered and shrink wrapped the new wire connections and taped after, no trip to the junk yard searching for old looms and plugs.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Re: alternator plug problem

Nice work, Adam! Thanks for the write-up and photos.

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

alternator positive wire.

Hi Yall,

Had a rough night tonight...

1st, I noticed the christmas lights on the dash of my 89 van. Before I used to just play around with the positive wire that goes to the alternator and snug it in more and it would go away. It is broken and doesnt clip in, thats probably due to someone yanking it out in the past. But anywho, this time I tried to push it in when that happened and the lights were still on. I had a friend look at it and he saw that the positive wire sparked pretty bad when he touched it and said its grounding out. He said that wire needs to be fixed and thats my problem... Has anyone ever repaired this positive wire? The plastic positive post on the engine bay looked a little melted. I doubt my alternator has gone bad because the ps pump is not leaking...

To top the night off I had the van towed back to my flower shop and I had a couch inside the van. While the van was being towed i guess the couch moved around and It busted my rear left window while it was being towed and ofcourse the tow company explained to me that they are not liable for that.

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Re: alternator positive wire.

I thought Tim had a nice write up about alternator harness issues but can't find it. Maybe he'll chime in.

I'd focus on repairing the loose connection for sure. If it's moving around and sparking while you're driving you might end up with a burnt up van.

Check that your alternator is charging.... voltmeter on the battery should read over 13.5 volts while running.