Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Replacing the alternator harness

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Re: alternator positive wire.

my positive connection failed and melted the little black terminal box.............I cut the two eyes off the wires ,stripped about an inch of wire jacket off and used a splice cap/marrette .....a big blue one and packed a little blob of silicone in the end......ask an electrician for one maybe......pre twist the wires together first before twisting on the cap

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Maretts have absolutely NO place in a vehicle, especially in a place that carries that kind of current.
    The pos. post is still available from Toyota and isn't crazy expensive.
    It WILL solve all your problems and save BBQ'ing your butt.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

BB the splice I did with a marette has been good for 5 years ....no problem.....I used a little anti oxidant goo also for good measure[nolox]...marettes don't carry current ,just hold the wire......I rather rely on a marrette than a pair of crimped stakon eyes......I thought about using a split bolt but didn't like the idea of the electrical tape melting in the heat.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Hey Nik
    I was always taught that Maretts don't like vibrations and can't be trusted to hold things secure.
    I am also not a fan of crimps for most applications (attaching fusible links would be the exception) but prefer to solder and shrink.

I like to keep my positive wires well secured, and see no sense in doings things part way, but am glad it works for you.

Given that OEM parts are still available and affordable, I don't see the point in taking chances.
    BB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Re: Replacing the alternator harness

To follow up on this..It's been a while and the DIY harness build and fusible links and work I did has held up fine. The issues I continued to have were due to aftermarket alternators. To date I think I've gone through 5 alternators. I kept having to swap out ones from Oriellys till I found one that worked longer than a few weeks. Almost each failure happened while on long trips (100+ miles) while driving for hours on end. Maybe the long heat and load on these things frys them. Ultima I think is the brand Oriellys uses. These "lifetime warranty" alternators are trash in my opinion and they don't fit right. What I ended up doing was finding an original denso/toyota alternator in a junk van with somewhat low miles and used that instead and I have the last one I bought on hand as a back up. What I'd like to do next is buy the internals for the og denso and keep that one going strong. Here's the thread timsrv outlines that- http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ght=alternator

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd Cargo On the hunt for a 4wd Hi/Low Auto

Re: Alternator Wiring Pigtail Connector

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Here's a diagram I marked up with the wire colors used on van harnesses:

My charging wire (+box to the alternator post) is actually two 10g-ish wires with separate eye connectors to the alternator post. Can someone please confirm that this is the stock setup and not something shady from the PO? I discovered (after much popping and smoke until I unhooked the batt ground) that indeed a 2nd wire (with a missing eye connector) was partially exposing itself out of the harness sleeve. I'm frustrated I didn't catch this earlier, and am concerned that I may have fried a thing or two as a result.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Pos box should have 2 wires with ring ends.
    One heavy wire coming from the battery, the 2nd heavy wire goes off to the alternator.

The factory wire is fairly light gauge and I dont remember if it was a double wire or not.
    When I replaced mine I used 8g wire with soldered ends.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd Cargo On the hunt for a 4wd Hi/Low Auto

Thanks, Burntboot. Looks like mine is similar to Ratatouille's in post #44 (likely 10g and a second 12g or 14g wire). But since the repaired wire is now a tight fit and I foolishly broke the +box in the process, I'll be upgrading to an 8g this weekend.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Hey Nik
    I was always taught that Maretts don't like vibrations and can't be trusted to hold things secure.
    I am also not a fan of crimps for most applications (attaching fusible links would be the exception) but prefer to solder and shrink.

I like to keep my positive wires well secured, and see no sense in doings things part way, but am glad it works for you.

Given that OEM parts are still available and affordable, I don't see the point in taking chances.
    BB
    well it is 2020 and big blue marette is still hanging in there haha

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    White 89 LE, 2WD.

My alternator plug had been causing me some troubles. I noticed the last time I changed the alternator that the plug/wires were on their way out. I rolled with it, but soon after started getting christmas tree lights intermittently. one time, which was on a drive from SF to SD, just over the Grapevine, the dash lights came on solid. I pulled over (in the dark) and managed to discover that if I bent the wires in a certain direction, the dash lights would turn off (completing the circuit). I ended up using two zip ties around a hose to keep those alternator wires bent towards that sweet spot. Exactly like when your cell phone charger cables starts to crap out and you have to bend the wire to make it work. This was a quick fix that ended up lasting the rest of the trip to SD, the drive back to SF, a month of puttering around town, and a drive back to SD! A few weeks after that last drive to SD is when it really started to get wonky. The sweet spot was almost nonexistent at that point.

ANYWAY, I finally got around to pulling the harness out. I replaced the plug, and soldered those new wires that came on the plug, onto the existing wires in the harness. I had to trim back a little bit to get to the section of wire that was still healthy. Shrink wrap and E tape, back in biz.

While doing this I also re-seated the + wire to the alternator. The spade that is on there, didn't sit completely on the nut of the new alternator, so I put it on upside down, which ended up making a WAAY more solid connection.

Result - brighter lights, what seems to be a little more pep in the step, and...better gas mileage?? When I got the van, the coil was bad. I can't help but to wonder if these wire issues had been an issue for quite some time leading to other electrical concerns / problems.

Anyway, I barely took any photos because my hands were all gunked up. But I'm stoked it worked out!