Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Door Seals/ noise reduction

  1. #1
    Van Fan RawbSpear's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    87 4wd automatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Marin CA
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    1

    Door Seals/ noise reduction

    Unfortunately new seals are no longer available so i had to find a solution to get rid of the wind and its noise out of my cab. This product is what i found:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/260750556252...84.m1439.l2649


    Works Fantastic. Best noise reduction i have done to this van. No joke.

    takes about 30 minutes per door including cleaning time. You put this under the original seal. It helps to have an assistant to push back the seal while the second person lays it in.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    At the sirens of humanity we STOMP!

  2. #2
    Van Fan Loganator17's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 5 speed manual 4WD with HiLo
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Door Seals/ noise reduction

    How much did you use? Was 20 meters enough?

  3. #3
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Door Seals/ noise reduction

    I know this thread is super old but thought maybe it was best to spark it back up vs creating a new thread.

    I've got some leaky door seals on almost all my doors. I can see sunlight in places on both front doors and the same thing on the back door. The slider is good though The seals actually look like their in good shape but I think their just really old and compressed so they dont seal like they should. I've dug around the internet and cant seem to find anything but generic replacement seals. Does anyone have any experience finding original seals or adapting from another vehicle or maybe there are some good generics out there?

    What about a body shop? Maybe they have sources or techniques for fixing this sort of thing? I would imagine there are some super old or classic cars out there that need seals. what do people do?

  4. #4
    Van Fan RawbSpear's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    87 4wd automatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Marin CA
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Door Seals/ noise reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrippler View Post
    I know this thread is super old but thought maybe it was best to spark it back up vs creating a new thread.

    I've got some leaky door seals on almost all my doors. I can see sunlight in places on both front doors and the same thing on the back door. The slider is good though The seals actually look like their in good shape but I think their just really old and compressed so they dont seal like they should. I've dug around the internet and cant seem to find anything but generic replacement seals. Does anyone have any experience finding original seals or adapting from another vehicle or maybe there are some good generics out there?

    What about a body shop? Maybe they have sources or techniques for fixing this sort of thing? I would imagine there are some super old or classic cars out there that need seals. what do people do?
    use the item i posted, it works.
    At the sirens of humanity we STOMP!

  5. #5
    Van Addict trestlehed's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    On the outskirts of Mordor
    Posts
    446
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Door Seals/ noise reduction

    RawbSpear wrote:
    takes about 30 minutes per door including cleaning time. You put this under the original seal. It helps to have an assistant to push back the seal while the second person lays it in.
    Not sure I understand. You leave the original old weather stripping and add the new stuff?
    Is it possible to post any pics/video to clarify?

    Thanks!
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

  6. #6
    Van Fan RawbSpear's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    87 4wd automatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Marin CA
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Door Seals/ noise reduction

    yah, you clean all the metal underneath the original seal and then put this underneath it. It adds bulk thereby creating a seal. Took me about 30 per door. worked really well. I had my helper push back the seal for me so i could apply the new seal easier.
    At the sirens of humanity we STOMP!

  7. #7
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Door Seals/ noise reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by RawbSpear View Post
    yah, you clean all the metal underneath the original seal and then put this underneath it. It adds bulk thereby creating a seal. Took me about 30 per door. worked really well. I had my helper push back the seal for me so i could apply the new seal easier.

    I went ahead and ordered it. If you follow that ebay link that was shared it has some pictures of the application process. Glad to hear you had good luck with it. I'll report back with some pictures of me installing it when I do mine.

  8. #8
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Oakland
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Door Seals/ noise reduction

    Resurrecting an old thread to see if we could get an update on whether or not this helped with leaky door seals?

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Door Seals/ noise reduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread to see if we could get an update on whether or not this helped with leaky door seals?

    Thanks!
    It helped for sure but it's not like new door seals. I applied them by sticking them between the metal door frame and the original rubber. Over time they have squeezed out a little in places where they did not adhere well. I'm wondering if it would work better to apply them between the folds of the original rubber?

    Overall I'd say go for it. Cheap and effective

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •