Thread: Air conditioning salvagable?

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 5 speed manual 4WD with HiLo

Air conditioning salvagable?

I did some work on my van last weekend... Pulled out the leaky power steering pump and put in a rebuilt pump. I found it in a junk yard and put in all new o-rings. I decided to replace all the belts as the ones I had were looking pretty beat up. That's when I noticed the A/C compressor was locked up, and that belt has snapped! When I bought the van, the PO said the A/C wasn't working; this is the 1st time I've looked at it.

I'm not sure what to do. I want to just remove the stuck componenets of the compressor, clean /replace them, and get the air conditoner back in working condition. I have a feeling that this problem is not that simple, and I really don't want to mess with the R-12. The one mechanic I took it to told me he would have to pull the A/C out and install a completely new system (I'm guessing an R-134 conversion). From what I've read on this site and others, I either want to have the current system working, or pull it all out for weight saving purposes.

Finally, I don't want to put the new belt on the compressor and snap that one as well. Is this going to affect anything important, other than not keeping me cool?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Air conditioning salvagable?

Loganator - A/C is not my forte but until we hear form Tim, here goes what I know.

R-12 is more efficient (colder) than R-134.
    Up here R-12 is no longer an option, so we have no choice.

However stating that the ENTIRE system has to be removed and replaced is a falsehood.
    And raises a big red flag for me, perhaps you should consider getting a second opinion.

The proper way to convert a system (assuming there are no faults and the system is functional) is to evacuate the system.
    Verify that it will hold a vacuum (no leaks present) replace all the o-rings (though some places will only replace what they have to disturb), receiver/drier and remove the compressor to drain the oil as the lubricating oils are not compatible with each other.

As you do not know how long your system has been down, you have a few more issues at play.
    If the system has been evacuated and holds a vacuum it may well be worth trying to resurrect.
    If it wont hold a vacuum, then things can get messy, (I have replaced a hose or 2 only to find the condensor is also leaking).

Compressors are rebuildable and it may even be possible to free up, depending on what has caused it to seize.
    Often it is just the front pulley that is at issue but if the compressor is truly seized and you want to go down that road, a reman
    compressor, but make sure you get a complete unit WITH the front pulley, may be your best way out, but you will also need to replace the rec/drier (system filter) at the very least.
    It isn't just a pulley but a magnetic clutch assemblyas well as a bearing assembly, diagnostics are in the manual for basic checks but pulley assemblies are almost as much as complete rebuilt compressors.

A/C issues are always a bugger. Bear in mind that once you get the system up and running, you may still need to replace other components, things like expansion valves, hoses, condensers.... or perish the thought, evaporators.
    We actually got into the habit of discouraging resurrecting systems that had been out of service for long periods of time as customers really don't like to spend $1000 just to find out they need to spend another $2-3K to have a functional system, maybe.
    For those that insisted, we usually used A/M parts just to verify if the system was salvageable.

You will also want to verify that the idler pulley is in good shape - they are often the cause of broken belts.

I would personally have someone diagnose the system, purchase and install the parts myself, then have the system refilled and tested.
    This will be your cheapest avenue.

If you decide to convert to non-ac, there s a thread by Llama that describes the changes within the dash (and the parts you will have to source form a non-ac van to make it all work properly)

Good luck
    BB