Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alternator woes

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Alternator woes

Quote Originally Posted by bushcat View Post
    Oh no! Is Denso the only direct replacement without modification? I see summit has some for 96 plus 30 core. That's pretty steep. They do have coupons from time to time.
    There are many brands that rebuild the Denso cores and they are available from almost anywhere. If a remanufacturer does a quality job using quality parts, then these units will last ~100k miles/10 years or so. Ones remanufactured with questionable workmanship and/or questionable parts are iffy and on average only last 10-20k miles or 1-2 years. Denso units were top notch, so while they were available these were the ones to get. There may be other rebuilds that rival Denso, but I don't know which ones they are. I'm guessing the more expensive options are likely better, but who really knows.........If anybody has good luck with another brand please let us know. Tim

PS: If/when the Denso units are gone it might be worth upgrading to a Delco Remy CS-144 alternator like I did HERE. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 toyota van 2.2 4cyl

Hey guys! This will be my first post. And I could really use some help.. So, essentially I pulled my alternator assuming it had a plug.. No plug.. Just individual wires.. Now I'm having a tough time being able to find out which wires go to which diodes.. Is there anything I should look out for or can I start interchanging these wire willy nilly until I find the right combo.. There is only 6 possibilities.. Thoughts?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    Hey guys! This will be my first post. And I could really use some help.. So, essentially I pulled my alternator assuming it had a plug.. No plug.. Just individual wires.. Now I'm having a tough time being able to find out which wires go to which diodes.. Is there anything I should look out for or can I start interchanging these wire willy nilly until I find the right combo.. There is only 6 possibilities.. Thoughts?
    Don't do that... one second.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Landon, use this diagram to sort it out...

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Heres a new harness as well if you want to repair yours...

https://www.amazon.com/XtremeAmazing.../dp/B06XCJSF51
    Last edited by timsrv; 11-08-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 toyota van 2.2 4cyl

Thanks!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 toyota van 2.2 4cyl

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    Landon, use this diagram to sort it out...

So I folled what was on the diagram as best I could.. Still doesn't seem to be charging.. It doesn't get above 12.3 v.. This is so frustrating 😤

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 toyota van 2.2 4cyl

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I've used the guts of Camry alternators from that year range before. They're a great choice as they are easy to remove (mounted on the top front of a transverse mounted engine). The Camry engine compartment is also well ventilated so they don't get overheated and there is nothing above to drip fluid. Once I snagged one with over 300k miles on it. It was the original alternator and other than worn brushes it was still in great shape. Tim

Is it possible to swap the guts of an alternator out of an 80s toyota camry to a TV?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Yes! Have you read the thread you are posting to?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 toyota van 2.2 4cyl

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I've used the guts of Camry alternators from that year range before. They're a great choice as they are easy to remove (mounted on the top front of a transverse mounted engine). The Camry engine compartment is also well ventilated so they don't get overheated and there is nothing above to drip fluid. Once I snagged one with over 300k miles on it. It was the original alternator and other than worn brushes it was still in great shape. Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Yes! Have you read the thread you are posting to?

I did! Part of me doesn't believe it! Wonderful

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    I did! Part of me doesn't believe it! Wonderful
    If your getting less than 13v and you have tested the exciter wire and corresponding fusible link, then it may just need a new internal regulator also. And yes you can use the internals from a common era to alternator. Mid 80's and up to 94~ish trucks as well.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Convert to a GM alternator. Problem forever solved.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by VanCo View Post
    Convert to a GM alternator. Problem forever solved.
    can't beat the 1 wire set up, that for sure... plus the GM brand will crank out some more amps. I had em' in a couple of older trucks... but I do wonder if they could stand the heat? I don't imagine the couldn't I suppose.

One benefit of how the denso ones are mounted in the vans is that it does give you some options for a wee bit of size difference.

My Van(s):

On long mountain runs in 95 degree heat fully loaded I've gotten my EGTs up to 1500 degrees (I usually back off at that point). I have cooked OEM alternators under those conditions. We all know the alternator is snuggled up to the exhaust manifold. The GM handles it fine.

I run an offset mounting hole CS130D. It's hooked up using all the factory van wires, and keeps the warning light working. I chose this alternator because they are on so many GM vehicles, and they are cheap. Ease of fitment was last on my list, I wanted cheap and plentiful. The cooling fan is internal and designed so that you can actually duct the inlet air if you want. The alternator I have is 105 amps and is plenty for me currently. The CS130D can be directly swapped for the larger 150 amp AD244. These are stock numbers. There are performance options for both alternators. I chose a Delco remanufactured pick n pull alternator for $9 two years ago for the fitment.

It does take some creative fabrication to get it to bolt up. In my opinion it's totally worth it.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 toyota van 2.2 4cyl

Quote Originally Posted by VanCo View Post
    On long mountain runs in 95 degree heat fully loaded I've gotten my EGTs up to 1500 degrees (I usually back off at that point). I have cooked OEM alternators under those conditions. We all know the alternator is snuggled up to the exhaust manifold. The GM handles it fine.

I run an offset mounting hole CS130D. It's hooked up using all the factory van wires, and keeps the warning light working. I chose this alternator because they are on so many GM vehicles, and they are cheap. Ease of fitment was last on my list, I wanted cheap and plentiful. The cooling fan is internal and designed so that you can actually duct the inlet air if you want. The alternator I have is 105 amps and is plenty for me currently. The CS130D can be directly swapped for the larger 150 amp AD244. These are stock numbers. There are performance options for both alternators. I chose a Delco remanufactured pick n pull alternator for $9 two years ago for the fitment.

It does take some creative fabrication to get it to bolt up. In my opinion it's totally worth it.
    What kind of fabrication went into mounting? I'm making a trip to pick and pull today to hopefully solve my predicimint.

My Van(s):

I cut the van bottom bracket and rewelded it so that the new alternator was aligned with the belt pulleys. The most common CS130D has offset mounting holes, not 12 and 6 o'clock like the van alternator. To make this work I made a flat bar of steel to bridge the gap from the offset alternator hole, and the van adjustment bracket. The alternator is threaded on the top hole so the flat bar is bolted there. There other side is bolted to the adjustment bracket. Simple, but effective.

Name:  IMG_20191109_110624.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  91.2 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 toyota van 2.2 4cyl

That neat man! Sadly I don't have welding capability. So replacement might be my only option.. Wish me luck on early toyota car and truck parts!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

That's pretty kick ass vanco… I have been looking for a drop in stator that would produce around 120 Amps or so for our small cased Denso's.. I like the idea of a dual battery set up and perko switch for the Van! I think I may have found one but would need to get a donor alt. to see if it's a drop in or I need to run the alt case on a lathe for a few more mm's to get it to fit.

My Van(s):

Thanks Flecker!

You should make the switch. The AD244 comes stock with around 150 amps. Aftermarket 250+. Also, you can find them in any auto parts store at anytime, and the pick n pull for a bargain.

When I grow out of the CS130D, I'll switch to the AD244. It has the exact same mounting configuration, just the overall case is bigger.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Yah, I know I need at least 120 Amps to make it happen.... Just not sure at what point I would need upgrade wiring to handle the extra load. Most of my sluething kinda lends to the thought process that anything over 130 Amps and the og wiring may not handle it... not a huge deal, as wiring is fairly cheap.

Did you have to upsize anything with your alternator? Or all good? Not sure what the CS130D pushes out...