Thread: fuel pump relay on 1985 Toyota van

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

fuel pump relay on 1985 Toyota van

yes anyone know where the fuel pump relay is on this 1985 Toyota van if so please help

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: fuel pump relay on 1985 Toyota van

Are you referring to the EFI main relay? If so it should be behind the radio. It's a rounded relay.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

You are probably only missing the correct search terms. Search site for "circuit opening relay". There are multiple threads that describe function and location.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

Angry help

I have a Toyota van and it isn't getting fuel , I replaced the relay , filter now I'm lost any help

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I merged your new thread with your old as they are the same issue. This has been gone over in the forum multiple times. I just did a quick search for you (search box is in the upper right corner of every forum page) using the terms "circuit opening relay" and found several results. Here is one of the more recent threads on this subject: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ing-for-years).

It's likely the fuel pump has failed (it's in the fuel tank), but you should test as outlined in one of these threads before replacing anything. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post

It's likely the fuel pump has failed (it's in the fuel tank), but you should test as outlined in one of these threads before replacing anything. Good luck. Tim
    I have used the search, but was unable to find any info on how to replace your fuel pump. Any tutorials on this? Thanks

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUser View Post
    I have used the search, but was unable to find any info on how to replace your fuel pump. Any tutorials on this? Thanks
    It's really not that bad... My cargo had 4 bolts which needed to be removed, 2 electrical plugs one for the float and the other for the fuel pump, disconnect the return line, remove the filler hose, and I believe there are 2 hoses which must be removed with open ended wrenches. I think one is 19mm or18 not sure. Either way it's not an impossible task.

And if the tank is more than 1/4 full, go ahead and drain it via drain plug near the rear.

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by ninz30 View Post
    It's really not that bad... My cargo had 4 bolts which needed to be removed, 2 electrical plugs one for the float and the other for the fuel pump, disconnect the return line, remove the filler hose, and I believe there are 2 hoses which must be removed with open ended wrenches. I think one is 19mm or18 not sure. Either way it's not an impossible task.

And if the tank is more than 1/4 full, go ahead and drain it via drain plug near the rear.
    I thought you had to completely remove the whole fuel tank to get to the pump?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you've done the troubleshooting & determined the problem to be the fuel pump, then yes, the tank needs to be removed. Like Ninz says it's not that difficult. You'll want to jack the van & get underneath . Once there things will become self explanatory. There are two round access hole covers on the top of the tank. Both have wires going to them. The one for the fuel pump has 2 gas lines going to it (1 for pressure & one for return). If you're lucky you can use open end wrenches on the fuel line. I would however recommend using high quality tubing wrenches here. If you round off the fitting nubs with open end wrenches, it will be too late to save with tubing wrenches. Tim

PS: Before getting under the van, make sure it's secured safely on jack stands.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUser View Post
    I thought you had to completely remove the whole fuel tank to get to the pump?
    Just about every vehicle with the exception of trucks require you to drop the tank in order to get to the fuel pump. The four bolts I mentioned hold the tank in place. There are two for the tank straps, and two at the filler end of the tank.

+1 on Tims advice... Although if you don't have the means to acquire the tubing wrenches, just take it easy on the hose fittings and apply liquid wrench before you attempt to separate them. I managed to remove it safely with regular wrenches. I would also strongly advise against using an adjustable wrench.