Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exterior trim pieces and clips

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Exterior trim pieces and clips

Would anyone know where I can find a set of the white inserts that go into the holes on the side of the van allowing the trim pieces to clip on.Maybe a part number? Having trouble tracking them down. Doing body work and when removing trim they were weathered and most of them are crumbling away. Thanks a lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0139FF729F7100008C400002-attachment-1-0407150815.jpg 
Views:	1108 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	2311

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Exterior trim clips

Looks like most of them are Toyota part #47749-87001

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Re: Exterior trim clips

Thanks Tim. Been trying to find a few bags of these online with no luck.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota van 4wd

Body trim

I have an '87 and the section of plastic trim on my sliding door got mangled pretty bad, so i was wondering if anyone ever pulled all the plastic trim off and what it looked like? The earlier years didn't have that thick body plastic trim, right?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: Body trim

The first gen did not have the wide molding. Removing the wide molding reveals holes in the sheet metal.

The wide molding was not affixed with just adhesive which in hind sight would have been a better design so that years later when you could not replace the molding at least you could remove it without having to patch holes.

It also seems that the second gen LE vans with the wide molding suffered from more corrosion issues in the body panels because water and debris could get in via the mounting holes for the molding

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

I call it the "rust belt", I did a complete "delete" on my 87 LE and patched from inside with fiber glass-epoxy (tricky). Fasteners are a mixture of plastic clips and screws with a nasty steel bracket (rust generator) over the wheel wells. If I was to reinstall one I would use a solid double sided tape along the top and cut big drain slots along the bottom. The moldings only came on the LE. if you need to replace the whole door and want to get rid of them, look for a "cargo with window" door. Also 84/85 doors, are the same I think, but didn't have the molding.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota van 4wd

Thanks for the tips. I'll most likely pull all the plastic trim off and just get a roll of that stick-on trim to cover the holes. Hopefully the holes are all in a single row. Eventually, when i get it painted, I'll plug them up.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

There is two rows of holes. I like what VanCo has done on his. I believe, or it looks like, he used big" fat head" rivet and glued them in the holes. If you are into that look.... clean simple cheap!
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

9. 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM

Reason
    wanted post in wrong place

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Front Emblem Clips?

Hey guys! I'm having a hard time getting my replacement front "TOYOTA" emblem to stick to the van. All of the clips were either missing or busted, and I modified some generic plastic land rover clips to work, but they only last about two weeks before they break. I checked out the local hardware store looking for something that'll fit the bill, no dice. I even went to the Toyota dealer and tracked down the part number, but they're apparently NLA and don't cross-reference to any other, more common, model. Ebay was a bust also.

I'm thinking about just getting some strips of puddy-like adhesive and calling it a day, but that's pretty sloppy. Any advice would be appreciated!

My Van(s):

Re: Front Emblem Clips?

www.ClipsAndFasteners.com

It took a lot of digging, but I recently found the clips for the Van's tail gate rear LE logo and reverse lights bar under a 2000 something Lexus#. awesome inventory! Or there is always your trusty "mushroom lock", a sort of velcro on steroid used to hold headliner panels on boats.
    Last edited by Carbonized; 09-17-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    LG.

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Thanks Carbonized, I'll check it out.

P.s. I think that link is missing an "s" on the end of fastener, the link didn't go anywhere.

My Van(s):

My bad! fixed that for you
    LG.

My Van(s):

Ok, so I've poured through pictures of hundreds of clips and here are the four that come closest to passing the eye test. If anyone thinks one looks like a better match, please let me know, they're all starting to blur together over here!

GM Rocker Moulding Clips With Sealer 11546635 11612122

Wheel Opening & Rocker Moulding Clip Ford W716351-S300

Nissan Rocker Panel Moulding Clips A22345

GM Rocker Moulding & Grille Moulding Clip 25724529

My Van(s):

part#75396-87001 (clip), #67772-20021 (receiver)

Name:  MBP933[1].jpg
Views: 943
Size:  76.1 KB

Could try to give these guys a call, see if they still have them

https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/T...539687001.html
    LG.

My Van(s):

Carbonized (hopefully) for the win!

Keeping with the personal current theme of things being more complicated than they need to be, Toyota actually has two different part numbers for these clips. The diagram provided to me by my local Toyota dealer had 75395-87001 as the number for the clip (the grill style on the diagram was that of the 84/85 models, didn't think much of it at the time), which is NLA and sold out everywhere online. The part number Carbonized posted, 75396-87001, is for the 86-89 models, not that I imagine the clips are actually any different.

They *fingers crossed* appear to still be available online so I placed an order in for a new set, along with the caps (part number is 67772-20021 for all model years), for wayyyy too much money but if they work they will have been well worth it!

I'll post back if the order actually arrives or the supplier sends that "jk we don't actually sell that part, LOL" email and cancels my order.

My Van(s):

I hate when they do that, you waste time on both end :ordering, and tracking your money back! They will tell you it is because they won't know if it is avalable until they themselves place the order with Japan. Now, Lakeland Toyota is not only an online parts store, it is also a HUGE dealership. And they don't have a direct line with "god"? At least Unlike Rock auto, they will answer the phone

I Hope the clips are still in use some where, let us know.

They do have a tricky shape:
    Name:  clips.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  64.4 KB
    Last edited by Carbonized; 09-25-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    LG.

My Van(s):

Yep! That's them exactly. I'll post back and once I have something to report.

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD 5 Speed #1 - 1988 4WD 5 Speed #2

Well last night I ordered 8 of those clips from toyotapartsoverstock.

Today they sent me a refund and said they are NLA. Ok but I wished the shopping cart would have said that.

My Van(s):

Yep, Lakeland Toyota emailed me today and told me the clips are NLA as well so I'm back to trying to choose between the alternates I posted above.

My Van(s):

Ok, so what I ended up doing was buying these guys on Amazon because they looked "close enough" and they were $4.50 for a pack of 15 w/ Prime shipping. These are originally for a Chevy Avalanche but, aside from that weird little point, looked like they would work. After a couple of snips with the dikes the clips looked like this:

Name:  clip1.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  clip2.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  75.4 KB

They fit great inside the emblem housing and it feels like they made a really good fit inside the new caps and the emblem is now firmly attached to the van. I'm very confident this will work for many years to come but I'll report back if they just snap in a couple weeks.