Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Van started running rough? Misfiring on clyinder 3?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    89 Townace 2CT 4wd 88 Vanwagon Auto 4WD

Van started running rough? Misfiring on clyinder 3?

The old van had been running good for a while now. I went and filled it all the way up for the first time, then the next day the problems began. Not sure if its related but worth mentioning.

I drove the tank down a little and added some fresh gas to see if it was the problem, along with a little seafoam.

Trouble shooting so far has been-

Remove plug wires and see if it runs worse or the same. When I unplugged the plug wire on cyl 3 there was no change. It is still getting spark

I tapped on the side of the injector lightly to no change. It has started running a little better since its below half a tank but it is also becoming hard to start when its not warmed up.

Trouble codes- Have not checked them, CEL has been on since I bought it and was running decent before the last couple of days. Im sure one of them if from the sensor in the overflow tank not being hooked up.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Van started running rough/ misfire?

If you have spark & compression in that cylinder then the problem is likely an injector or injector connector. On my 86 I had the same problem & it was also my #3 cylinder. I had spark & compression, but it ran the same regardless whether that spark plug wire was hooked up or not. When I pulled the injectors the inlet screen on #3 was completely plugged up with rust particles. I cleaned it with carb cleaner & compressed air. After cleaning I test fired it with compressed air and brake clean. It sprayed a nice pattern so I reinstalled it. The other injectors were clean but I replaced the fuel filter as a precaution. That was about 2 months ago & the van has been running fine since. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thats along the lines Im thinking. I bet I knocked some crap loose when I filled her up. The previous owner told me he pulled the tank since it had been sitting for 10 years and it all turned to gunk.

I have pulled injectors before . As for getting to the injectors.

Guess the manifolds got to be slit judging from the other thread I found

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    If you have spark & compression in that cylinder then the problem is likely an injector or injector connector. On my 86 I had the same problem & it was also my #3 cylinder. I had spark & compression, but it ran the same regardless whether that spark plug wire was hooked up or not. When I pulled the injectors the inlet screen on #3 was completely plugged up with rust particles. I cleaned it with carb cleaner & compressed air. After cleaning I test fired it with compressed air and brake clean. It sprayed a nice pattern so I reinstalled it. The other injectors were clean but I replaced the fuel filter as a precaution. That was about 2 months ago & the van has been running fine since. Tim

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by cusco-awd View Post
    Thats along the lines Im thinking. I bet I knocked some crap loose when I filled her up. The previous owner told me he pulled the tank since it had been sitting for 10 years and it all turned to gunk.

I have pulled injectors before . As for getting to the injectors.

Guess the manifolds got to be slit judging from the other thread I found
    That sounds exactly like my 86. It sat for 13 years with a full tank. When I tried to fire it up the fuel pump had failed. When I drained the tank it stunk (rotten). My tank and everything inside was all rusted up. I got it running and the ECU had failed (gas gauge inop & the check engine light was on). I couldn't put it into the diagnostic mode so I replaced the ECU. That fixed everything & it ran great. After running if for about 2 or 3 months it started missing on #3. That turned out to be a clogged inlet screen on the injector (mentioned above).

Yes you need to split the manifold. When I did mine pretty much every rubber part disintegrated during the process (so you should expect the same). It was annoying but needed to be done. It was worth it as the van has been very reliable since then. I'm using it for "severe service" every day. I'm hauling around almost 3k lbs inside plus towing a 1/2 ton cargo trailer. My throttle foot gets tired from staying mashed on the floor all the time . I get about 10 - 12mpg . Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

The ECU wont go into diagnostic mode.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's not good. Perhaps you should start checking on eBay. Search for the Toyota part number printed on your old one. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

That's not good. Perhaps you should start checking on eBay. Search for the Toyota part number printed on your old one. Tim

I dont think Im gonna have trouble finding one. I would just hate to spend the cash and it not be the issue.

Any more tips on testing it?

Also, I cant find the CEL Flash codes online, here or the other forums. The links I found were deleted.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post

Thats the link I was talking about not working. It shows the codes for the model ECU, But if you click on the link for the codes its 404 not found.

I thought I found them on a google search when the showed up on TVP, but they were edited to send you here and theres no codes.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Oh, okay. I see what you're talking about. We'll have to fix that. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Oh, okay. I see what you're talking about. We'll have to fix that. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Tim

Thanks Im glad. The fact that there is still resources out there at is amazing, Im just glad this and other forums still exist for the cans.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Okay, I just repaired that. You should be able to access these now. Thanks for your patience. Tim

Toyota Vanwagon Diagnostic Codes

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Well the follow up is that kept driving it and putting miles on it. Whatever it was came unstuck a couple days ago.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lucky you. After only 5k miles mine started missing again. Last night I took a look & it turned out to be #3 injector AGAIN! So I pulled it all apart and sure enough, #3 was plugged up with rust AGAIN!. Cleaned & tested fine and reassembled. Got it all done and Was running sweet, til I noticed #1 was leaking gas from between the rail and the injector. I gave it a twist and the leak stopped, then twisted it back & it started again. Even though I could stop the leak by positioning it I couldn't trust it, so I tore everything back down AGAIN! & replaced all the injector seals AGAIN. This time I plugged the cold start injector hole & tested the fuel system before installing the top half of the intake manifold.

After sitting for 13 years there was a lot of rust inside my fuel tank, but I figured the filter would keep it out of my injectors. I even put a new filter on the last time I cleaned injectors, but these small rust particles are still getting through. What's interesting is only #3 is getting plugged. None of the others had anything in them at all. Next time this van does this it's getting parked. Keep your fuel systems clean people.......this is a lesson I'm learning the hard way. Tim

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

If your van has been running and hasnt sat then this probably doesnt apply right? Or are there anythings you can do to keep your fuel systems clean even when using the van as a daily driver?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I was taught that vehicles in storage should have full fuel tanks. The train of thought being oxygen & moisture need to be present for rust to take place. If the tank is filled with gas, then it displaces both oxygen & moisture. So I parked this with a full tank & didn't worry about it. Well, as expected, all the gas was rotten when I woke the old girl up. The fuel pump had failed so I drained the tank, dropped it, and replaced the pump. It blew me away at how messed up everything was (thick layer of flakey rust on everything). I don't know why, but suspect it's due to modern gas not being the same as the old stuff. Perhaps alcohol & oxygenation allows rust to take place? I don't know. BTW, as for the old gas, I filtered it, mixed 50% with fresh gas & gave it to my son to burn in his Corolla .

After this, if I were to store a vehicle long term again, I'd probably drain the tank and take my chances. You shouldn't need to worry if you're using the van as a daily driver. Just the process of filling/using should keep rust at bay.........I think . Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2WD Toyota Van LE Cargo

THREAD REVIVE!~

So after some research on this wonderful forum, I think Ive found my issue with the toyota van. Yesterday I ran the tank on E to the gas station, then suddenly it started miss-firing terribly. We did some troubleshooting, full compression and spark, but no go on cylinder #3. I suspected a bad fuel injector, but there must be more chance of fouling the third cylinder injector. Wished it was just the spark plug but Im happy I've pretty much found my solution. So far Ive put over 2500kms on it. I changed the fuel pump (fouled) and front tires, and its been reliable until now. I love these vans, they're just so unique!

PS: Anyone have parts in BC for this van? I need;
    Fuel injector (3rd cylinder)
    gas cap door
    center console piece (Red?)
    front rotors
    Name:  Toyota van.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  93.1 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2WD Passenger Van LE 1986 2WD Passenger van LE SE

85CargoSpace if you are still looking for those parts someone is parting out a van not too far from you....

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...539254445.html

i would be calling them myself but i have to leave town in a couple of days and am busy trying to get mine running well

dave

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 panel 2x4 campervan

I've done this 3 times anyone have any knowledge of better or worse fuel filter. I'm getting tired of pulling the intake apart. Yes I have flush the tank still getting the micro rust in the injectors.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

My #3 injector screen was clogging every 5k miles until I replaced filter with an aftermarket set-up. It's been almost 20k miles now and no more clogged injector screens. Here's a link to my solution: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...-working/page2 Tim