Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiper Blade Replacement 1991 Previa

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

Re: Wiper Blade Replacement 1991 Previa

I replied to a thread I made for the PIAA Super Silicone wiper refill blades. I ordered some and installed them. Tight fit with the two metal strips that are common on newer design wiper refills.

I have yet to use them extensively, but the tight fit with the metal strips in the wiper arm makes me think that they should be my go to solution from here on for wiper blades.

The reason why I switched out from the ANCO W-28R, as stated in the other thread as well, is that they ANCO would shift around while in use. Eventually fully coming out of the wiper arm.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Good to know. Thanks for reporting back on BOTH types you tried. I used the W28R's for about 3 years and don't remember having any trouble with them, but its good to have more choices.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

The ANCOs worked for months without issue. Then the Passenger side wiper blade, the actual rubber wiper portion, would shift within the track to the outer right side edge of the track. It would bunch up for some odd reason. That's when I had to look for another solution. It was at that point that I took a PIAA wiper blade out of a family member's vehicle and looked to see if it would fit the Previa's wiper arms. And it did. So I ordered the 28" PIAA refills.

Oddly enough, I went to the salvage yard and saw a '93 Previa with this newer type of wiper blade refill insert. Apparently, other Previa owners have already used this solution that I was curious about.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Toyota Previa AllTrac

First post. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I managed to get a 2003-2009 Prius rear wiper arm to work. Had to slightly modify it, but well worth the hassle and cost of OEM. Costs about 15 bucks online and comes with blade. You need to trim material at hinge or it'll sit too far off the glass. I took off about 2mm.also cut the ring around the shaft hole so it would push down when tightened. Otherwise it won't seat on shaft. Also put a bit of lithium grease on the rubber so friction wouldn't shred it.

1993 Toyota Previa AllTrac.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91Previa

Quote Originally Posted by apham8 View Post
    I replied to a thread I made for the PIAA Super Silicone wiper refill blades. I ordered some and installed them. Tight fit with the two metal strips that are common on newer design wiper refills.

I have yet to use them extensively, but the tight fit with the metal strips in the wiper arm makes me think that they should be my go to solution from here on for wiper blades.

The reason why I switched out from the ANCO W-28R, as stated in the other thread as well, is that they ANCO would shift around while in use. Eventually fully coming out of the wiper arm.
    Don't know if I missed what year your Previa is and do you have a part # for the PIAA refills? I guess after 30 years nobody wants to make parts for this vehicle anymore. Had trouble finding a muffler for mine but eventually found one and the pipe in front of it. Hard to keep these running when parts aren't available. But still runs good.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by NorwalkCT View Post
    First post. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I managed to get a 2003-2009 Prius rear wiper arm to work. Had to slightly modify it, but well worth the hassle and cost of OEM. Costs about 15 bucks online and comes with blade. You need to trim material at hinge or it'll sit too far off the glass. I took off about 2mm.also cut the ring around the shaft hole so it would push down when tightened. Otherwise it won't seat on shaft. Also put a bit of lithium grease on the rubber so friction wouldn't shred it.

1993 Toyota Previa AllTrac.
    People in Japan get Toyota Alphard and Noah wiper blade/arms to fit onto theirs... I haven't cared enough to look up if there's any USDM cars that uses those parts though, but it seems to be a straightforward swap for them

I'm actually on the hunt for a 98-99 wiper arm, which finally used the J hook style blade attachment, rather than the stupid 80s style screws... I discovered this much too late years ago and when I wanted to buy a new arm, it was already discontinued then
    [

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

If all of you 90-93 owners don't mind the work, you can consider upgrading to the 94-99 wiper arms/blades... simplified setup, and much better J hook style blade attachment... this gives you options to put in aftermarket blades if you want... as for the washer nozzles once you swap to aftermarket blades, just get nozzles off an Isuzu NPR truck, or get Wipex nozzles off ebay... the Wipex nozzles are better than the Isuzu ones anyway

I'm still using the stock 94-99 blades... I bought a huge stash of OEM Toyota wiper refill rubbers years ago and slowly going through them... PIAA rubbers work of course, but they're marked up and made by NWB... if I was to do it all over again, I'd buy NWB super graphite coated rubber refills from japan... they do what the PIAAs can but also last longer and less chatter because the rubber has graphite in them

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ade-conversion

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    If all of you 90-93 owners don't mind the work, you can consider upgrading to the 94-99 wiper arms/blades... simplified setup, and much better J hook style blade attachment... this gives you options to put in aftermarket blades if you want...
    Just to be clear we're on the same page: you mean 94-97 wiper arms/blades? (No 98-99 Previa in North America, right?)

as for the washer nozzles once you swap to aftermarket blades, just get nozzles off an Isuzu NPR truck, or get Wipex nozzles off ebay... the Wipex nozzles are better than the Isuzu ones anyway
    Are you still talking about blade-mounted (in the 91-97 Previa fashion) washer nozzles? If so, aren't the nozzles specific to the blades? If not, what are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

I'm still using the stock 94-99 blades... I bought a huge stash of OEM Toyota wiper refill rubbers years ago and slowly going through them... PIAA rubbers work of course, but they're marked up and made by NWB... if I was to do it all over again, I'd buy NWB super graphite coated rubber refills from japan... they do what the PIAAs can but also last longer and less chatter because the rubber has graphite in them
    These are comparable to PIAA 94070 ?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by John Kaufmann View Post
    Just to be clear we're on the same page: you mean 94-97 wiper arms/blades? (No 98-99 Previa in North America, right?)
    the previa was made till end of 99, the 98-99 LHD versions sold in Europe, Middle East, and other countries still use the same wiper arms and blades, so they're not just 94-97 wiper blades, they're 94-99...
    Are you still talking about blade-mounted (in the 91-97 Previa fashion) washer nozzles? If so, aren't the nozzles specific to the blades? If not, what are you talking about?
    the nozzles are clipped onto the stock blades, any year (90-99)... but if you use aftermarket, there's no place for them, except gluing them on or taping them on.... that's kludgy... people in Japan figured out to use Isuzu truck wiper nozzles and drill holes on the arms to screw them on.... but getting Wipex ones off ebay is better because there's more jets and they're clip on
    These are comparable to PIAA 94070 ?
    NWB sells ones that are the same performance level, but they also sell ones that are better
    they're sold in Japan only... easiest way to get them is off amazon japan.... buying in bulk will offset the shipping costs

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92" Toyota Previa LE

Quote Originally Posted by 1991Previa View Post
    Hi Previa Lovers,

Any suggestions for a wiper blade replacements for front and back of 1991 previas? I have 2 of them that do and will need replacing v. soon. As a tester, I got a an ANCO W-28R on order.

205K and 224K

jg_rodriguez1
    I’ve had my 92’ Toyota Previn LE since 1995 and this is the first year I’ve run into issues getting blade refills. After trying many different blades this YouTube video solved my problem and it’s quite easy. Here’s the YouTube link.
    https://youtu.be/Tex_gr9fFpg

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa

Yass!! Thank you! About to purchase my parts!