Thread: Fan Clutch... How to bench-test?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Fan Clutch... How to bench-test?

Sorry, I used search,, I imagine it's there somewhere, didn't manage to find it though. <;~/

I've got a couple of units and thermometer, wanna test them in a controlled, workshop, on stove setting,,, but how?

Thanks, M

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Re: Fan Clutch... How to bench-test?

https://youtu.be/8tKZre5UQRU

You can't really bench test fan clutches without making a dedicated setup. Just test it like in this video. Other thing to look for is the leaking silicone oil on the front.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Viscous fan clutches like what our vans use operate using temperature and centrifugal forces, so you can't bench test them with a stove and thermometer

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Haha,, hence the difficulty of finding directions on bench testing fan clutches. Thanks guys.

But waidaminute. The video doesn't make it look like it requires spinning for the clutch to actually engage. I tried heating on the stove, would pick it up and check turn resistance,,, but I hadn't gone above 200.... Now for some experimenting!
    Last edited by micah202; 04-24-2023 at 02:16 AM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Tim came up with a method for testing.
    I think this is the thread

The Fan Clutch (clutch fan / fluid coupling) Thread

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

https://youtu.be/UwM4OqsLek4

This video shows how they work and should make it clear why you can't bench test without a special setup. I suppose if you rigged up an electric motor to the clutch and put a heat gun in front of it you could test it that way. However to me doing something like that is more effort than just testing on the vehicle.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

I put mine in a lathe I had access to at work to make it spin at about 800 rpm. I stuck a piece of cardboard carefully in the fan blades when it was spinning while cold to see if the fan would stop (it did). I then used a heat gun to heat it up and then made sure that the fan blades wouldn't stop when I (carefully and slowly) stuck the piece of cardboard into the blades.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Oh wow thats a good idea. I don't have access to one so using a lathe didn't even cross my mind.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Strange, I haven't been getting notifications of posts here lately. Thanks for the further posts.

Post #7 on the thread, 'An unorthodox method for testing the clutch fan', seems not to have it's information any more.

I was hoping to dry-test the old and new fan clutches in a relatively simple way, but ah well, have a new Aisin standin by, will test in-place, once Ive re-assembled from a gasket job.

Thanks y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Tim came up with a method for testing.
    I think this is the thread

The Fan Clutch (clutch fan / fluid coupling) Thread