Thread: Timing Gear kits

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Timing Gear kits

Just a quick question.

Are timing gears between the N/A and S/C motors the same?

I contacted the referred ebay seller that TimsRV recommended, but he does not know.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Timing Gear kits

The 2 chains, camshaft gear, and idler are the same on all years/flavors of Previas. There used to be different part numbers listed for the idler (depending on SC or NA), but Toyota has since changed to a common part number for all. There are different part numbers called out for the crank gear, the tensioner & the upper chain guides. Not sure if any of these would be interchangeable, but suspect the lower timing gear is different due to the crank position sensor used only on the SC engine. I checked the guides and tensioner to see if Toyota has made any part number changes, but they still call out different numbers depending on SC or NA. Tim

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Thanks Tim,

I'll look into it. I clicked on that link you made in an older thread and the guy has a few kits, I want to get one, but want to make sure it is the right one. He is also unsure, but he used the N/A motor as part of the post.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Just for fun I looked up aftermarket kits on www.rockauto.com. DNJ sells a kit for 91 - 95 Previas, then a different kit for 94 - 97 Previas. Based on the year range, I'm assuming one kit is for NA & the other is for SC. So in short, no, not interchangeable. Some parts are the same but some are different. Tim

BTW, the Tsubaki kits I got on eBay (for NA) have all components (including the idler gear w/holder). The DNJ kit on rockauto mentions it does NOT include idler gear.

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Just for fun I looked up aftermarket kits on www.rockauto.com. DNJ sells a kit for 91 - 95 Previas, then a different kit for 94 - 97 Previas. Based on the year range, I'm assuming one kit is for NA & the other is for SC. So in short, no, not interchangeable. Some parts are the same but some are different. Tim

BTW, the Tsubaki kits I got on eBay (for NA) have all components (including the idler gear w/holder). The DNJ kit on rockauto mentions it does NOT include idler gear.
    Thanks again Tim. I haven't been able to search yet, but I am awaiting answers from a few sellers about their kits.

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Timing gear kit??? attn: Timsrv

Is that the gear itself? Couldnt match a parts # on google

Any info would be great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cvtroger; 07-31-2014 at 11:58 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Timing gear kit??? attn: Timsrv

Wow! I'm absolutely floored by those prices. For that timing chain alone, did you know Toyota's MSRP is only $165.59......They marked it up over $100 above Toyota's MSRP! Unbelievable! I don't likely have the overhead these guys do, but I've always made my profit by purchasing parts from Toyota at 30% below MSRP, then charging MSRP.

When it comes to small purchases I can see getting a little greedy on the mark-ups, but you're making a large quantity purchase here........not to mention the labor. I hope their techs there are top notch.

On that gear number, obviously that's an aftermarket part, but nothing on that number comes up for me either. Not sure what they do there, but some shops will actually make up their own numbers just to prevent customers from comparing prices. Since they list Toyota part numbers for other stuff, I doubt that's happening here, but I find it hard to imagine an aftermarket part like this costing so much. They must make a ton of money on parts there.

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Re: Timing gear kit??? attn: Timsrv

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Wow! I'm absolutely floored by those prices. For that timing chain alone, did you know Toyota's MSRP is only $165.59......They marked it up over $100 above Toyota's MSRP! Unbelievable! I don't likely have the overhead these guys do, but I've always made my profit by purchasing parts from Toyota at 30% below MSRP, then charging MSRP.

When it comes to small purchases I can see getting a little greedy on the mark-ups, but you're making a large quantity purchase here........not to mention the labor. I hope their techs there are top notch.

On that gear number, obviously that's an aftermarket part, but nothing on that number comes up for me either. Not sure what they do there, but some shops will actually make up their own numbers just to prevent customers from comparing prices. Since they list Toyota part numbers for other stuff, I doubt that's happening here, but I find it hard to imagine an aftermarket part like this costing so much. They must make a ton of money on parts there.
    I like the shop and the guys. They've done work on my outlander. They gave me a quote of 5 grand, and it went over to about $5,680. So I decided to get the parts Titus Will, which was significantly less costly, So I've made some big purchases from them.

Thanks again Tim. I asked because I had already purchased the timing chain, tensioner, and guide rails, just didnt know if this kit was on top of that stuff.