Thread: 1986 Van LE automatic shifting issue

My Van(s):
    1986 Van LE 1 994 Previa LE AWD S/C Jacked UP

1986 Van LE automatic shifting issue

Van revs until 3000rpm then you must take your foot of the accelerator and it will shift, if you didn't it won't shift. Is this a solinoid failing? What's the thought? Thanks

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4WD Automatic Vanwagon - "The Pale Blue Dot" 1990 JDM Toyota HiAce 4wd Automatic Diesel w/ a DIY camper conversion

Re: 1986 Van LE automatic shifting issue

Hi! There is a second cable attached to your throttle body that is not your throttle cable. I call it the kick down cable (thought there is likely a more technical name), and it can be adjusted in or out to determine when your transmission will shift in relation to your throttle position. It's easy to adjust so it may be a good first step. If it is too tight, it may shift in the manner you are describing. try loosening it a 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time followed by a test ride. Make note of the number of turns, and if it doesn't appear to make a difference after a few full turns, be sure to adjust it back to the original setting. The looser the cable, the sooner the transmission will shift. My van shifted too early, so a little tightening is all it took for me. I believe you'll need two 10mm wrenches. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    Van revs until 3000rpm then you must take your foot of the accelerator and it will shift, if you didn't it won't shift. Is this a solinoid failing? What's the thought? Thanks
    im having the same problem LOL

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Not sure if this is related as well

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ll=1#post18961

My Van(s):

Loosened the throttle nuts and it shifts like butter now. FYI I was talking to a friend said to take the throttle adjustment cable off the throttle lever...the metal end out of the slot... and drive it. If it shifted fine then the cable was too tight. Re attach and loosen nuts. Thanks for the help guys.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    Loosened the throttle nuts and it shifts like butter now. FYI I was talking to a friend said to take the throttle adjustment cable off the throttle lever...the metal end out of the slot... and drive it. If it shifted fine then the cable was too tight. Re attach and loosen nuts. Thanks for the help guys.
    Tito can you do a picture play by play for me? Im sure it will help others as well and we can forward them to this thread

My Van(s):

Unfortunately I don't have a camera that is worth a spit. Otherwise I'd be on it. Sorry guys.