Thread: replacing oil pan

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd work van 87 4wd play van

replacing oil pan

My 87 4wd auto LE had never leaked more that a few drops of oil, but after a couple of recent trips that included long stretches on gravel, I noticed a puddle of oil underneath. On close inspection, I found that the rear portion of the oil pan was badly corroded and, after cleaning it up, found three places where oil was leaking. It seems, although I have not yet confirmed, that I can get a new oil pan through a local Toyota dealer. My question is what is the process for removing and replacing it. Looks to me like you might have to pull the engine. Anyone done this?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: replacing oil pan

Best to use the search function for this one, there is a thread and it will have all the correct info and procedures in it.
    The motor doesn't have to come out but may need to be be lifted some.

Finding and reading the thread will save you the trouble of replacing the oil-level sensor that you broke on removal, because you were frustrated.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd work van 87 4wd play van

Re: replacing oil pan

Thanks BB! I found the thread after removing "4WD" from my tag search (thanks Gwen!) I was hoping for a professionally produced video with good lighting and an inspiring soundtrack of someone removing the oil pan from an 87 4WD AT van sitting on jackstands but I'll just try to be brave with what I got.