Thread: 1990 Lite Ace AC Charging Help

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Lite Ace 4wd

1990 Lite Ace AC Charging Help

I have a 1990 lite ace 4wd that I’m trying to find a low side port to charge. I found the stickers where it’s been changed over to 134 a but can’t find a service manual online and I’ve read the long thread here already on charging but The 1990 may be different I guess? Have looked seemingly everywhere for hours. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Lite Ace 4wd

Re: 1990 Lite Ace AC Charging Help

Name:  IMG_7623.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  13.4 KB

is the picture where my finger is pointing to it the high side and the other picture the low side but it just doesn’t have the 134a nipple on it yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Lite Ace 4wd

I guess, where is this located? : )

Name:  IMG_7629.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  10.6 KB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

One easy way to tell is pipe diameter. The smaller diameter pipe is high side larger diameter is low side. The pic in your last post is behind the right side seat(passenger seat for LHD driver seat for RHD)beneath an access panel under the carpet.
    Last edited by originalkwyjibo; 08-18-2023 at 01:57 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Lite Ace 4wd

Thank you for the reply! On mine that is the battery access and a couple of fuses. Mine does have front and rear AC. Maybe that makes a difference? I just open that area for the third time to make absolutely positive. I didn’t miss it. : )

Can I put a fitting on the low port side in my second picture and fill from there?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

So I just realized in your first post you said this is a Liteace. I apologize, I was going off of Van/Townace. I dont know what the differences will be as I have very little experience with the JDM stuff. The photo I said was behind the right seat is of the HVAC components for rear heat and a/c. Perhaps on a RHD, those components are on the left side instead. It is my understanding that you would charge from the forward ports as the front and rear systems are connected and the rear ports are to check pressures for the rear portion to verify all the valves are functioning correctly and allowing proper flow.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Lite Ace 4wd

Thx for the reply. I just put an adapter on the front low port and charged it up. Now there is an occasional squeal while driving (mostly when I let off the gas after accelerating). The temperature coming out vents is slightly cooler but still somethings wrong. There’s a little bit of green fluid on the compressor, Maybe clutch is shot?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Lite Ace 4wd

Sorry for all the posts : )
    update;
    realized the system wasn’t getting any of the 134A because the compressor was not kicking on at idle. So I had my wife hold it at 2000 rpm and filled the system. It is now blowing cold!! Yes! I still have the squeal tho. It’s almost always after accelerating then letting off the gas. Also sounds like coming from the front more than engine bay. See video. Thank you in advance
    https://youtube.com/shorts/_e1I-C4uZ...Il8ABia_1Q-xwV
    Last edited by Php77; 08-18-2023 at 10:48 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

Hard to tell in the video. Could be the belt, idler pulley, compressor clutch bearing, or electric fan bearings..

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Lite Ace 4wd

All resolved. Tightened all belts, and squealing solved. Thx for the help all!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Lite Ace 4wd

Welp..slow leak at compressor. Need help again finding toyota 88320-27060 compressor or a cross reference, or rebuild kit. I’ve checked EVERYWHERE, Amazon (all countries), eBay, partsouq, carid, yoshi, megazip, and chatted w all us major car parts online stores…and more. Help! Thx!