Thread: Townace 2.0 Diesel (2C) starting problem

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    townace flatbed

Townace 2.0 Diesel (2C) starting problem

Hi guys
    New to the forum and posting from New Zealand.
    Ive had a search through old threads but cant find the info/help i need, most seems to be related to the 2C-T engine, not my 2C.
    I have very intermittent starting troubles (possibly happens 1 out of 20/30 starts)

as far as i am aware the battery is in good working condition.

a quick run down of the problem.
    I turn the key to IGN and let the glows warm up, when the glow light goes out i continue to start.
    most of the time is starts first pop, straight away.
    sometimes, maybe 1 in 10 starts it doesnt start straight away so i keep the key turned to start and after maybe 5 seconds it starts.
    If i release the key without getting it to start it will do nothing for a very long time, (this is the 1 in 20/30 issue) when i say 'do nothing' i mean no matter how many times i turn the key to start again i get NOTHING, no relay click, no starter noise, nothing at all.
    its almost asif the starter has kicked out and got jammed in the ring gear.
    Because of this i have got into the habit of never releasing the key from the start position until the truck has started

if i go back to the truck after a few hours it will then sometimes start up as normal, which again makes me think its the pinion gear getting jammed in the ring gear and over an hour or two it manages to free itself ?? please, any thoughts on this hypothesis would be welcomed!

ive pulled the starter out today and all contacts look good, nice and clean with no corrosion.

Ive phoned local parts suppliers and none can source a new starter and have recommended either get one from a scrap yard or have my one rewound.

look forward to hearing what you guys think so i can finally get this sorted!
    Cheers

Name:  387560635_1019097732694619_8837819433786426958_n.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  97.2 KBName:  387566953_817008156851849_9164386326053692385_n.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  92.9 KBName:  396156509_1020152172410280_8717334150881966262_n.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  97.7 KBName:  387346487_875861057572846_82663803496769534_n.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  76.9 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    townace flatbed

Re: Townace 2.0 Diesel (2C) starting problem

also, if anybody knows the part number for the starter on the 2C engine that would be awesome!!
    the sticker on my starter was not eligible

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    townace flatbed

one important thing i forgot to mention.
    The 1 in 30 starts problem happened today, tried to start, nothing happened, kept the key turned to start for about 20 secs, truck didn't start.
    We tried to jump start it, nothing.
    tried a battery booster on it, nothing
    we took a known good battery from a different vehicle and fitted that, still nothing.
    then, with the know good battery fitted i had a helper keep the key turned to start and i gave the started a few light taps with a small pole and it started up after a few taps........

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon 2CT Auto 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by davehaynes1 View Post
    also, if anybody knows the part number for the starter on the 2C engine that would be awesome!!
    the sticker on my starter was not eligible
    Hello Dave,

Amayama has a pretty good system for finding part numbers. Here is a link to the LiteAce/TownAce page. (I have ordered from Amayama before, and my orders actually came, but I mainly use their site for parts look up and diagrams.)

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/...ace?year=~2000

I would guess your Ace is a CM60-CM65 since it's a truck with a 2C (based on the LiteAce wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_LiteAce). You'll have to confirm your model number.

The model number for a 2C starter seems to be 28100-64020 (https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/2810064020), but don't take my word for it. I haven't done any starter work, myself.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    townace flatbed

ive just put Vin into that website and it says vehicle is a liteace CM55
    I dont think there's anything wrong with the starter as it bench tests fine every time....
    Im now laying suspicion on the IGN switch, which i cant find a part no. for anywhere, or perhaps it is the battery.

Here is my theory with limited knowledge, please let me know if there are any flaws in it.

Either the battery isnt supplying enough current to successfully spin the starter. It ends up throwing the pinion gear out to engage the ring gear and then it runs out of juice and ends up getting jammed and over the course of an hour or so it unjams and retracts.
    This would explain why after an hour or so it often starts as normal, but that logic is flawed because the same battery that didnt have enough current to start it an hour ago, now starts it.

Or, the IGN switch is faulty meaning one out of ten times it is turned the contact fails, but then that logic is flowed as you would expect it to start after a few wiggles of the key.

Ive used many vehicles with faulty IGN switches and wiggling the key often works, whereas it doesnt seem to work on this vehicle.

Im also stumped because yesterday when i had a helper hold the key to start (with a known good battery hooked up) a knock to the starter is what got it going. Although, he may have wiggled the key slightly just as i knocked the starter. Unlikley but........

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon 2CT Auto 4x4

If you dig into the Amayama parts list for the CM55, you'll find the part numbers for the ignition switch. It lists a few different switches for different years. (84450-27100, 27130)
    https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-c.../electric/8401