Thread: 1984-1985 Center Link (bell crank) toyota part number 4540229065 - Rebuild possible?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Vanwagon LE 5-Spd

1984-1985 Center Link (bell crank) toyota part number 4540229065 - Rebuild possible?

I'm making a new thread because I didn't want to necropost on threads from 2015, 2016.

The steering Center Link on the 84 to 85 vans is a part that wears out, causes steering slop and wandering all over the lane. It is discontinued in LHD versions. RHD versions are available, but they're a mirror image of the parts used on USDM vans. I have seen one company, rareparts, that offers a service to remanufacture the part. But different threads have had different success with them, and that requires you to ship the part, wait the lead time for refurbishment, then shipping again.

Because the component of the part that wears out appears to be a ball joint, has anyone tried, or know of any reason why the ball joint installed from the factory cannot be pressed out, and an identically sized and tapered ball joint sourced and pressed back in? Or the ball joint of a RHD Center Link be pressed out and then re-pressed into a LHD vehicle?

I've seen a few threads about replacing this part, but since someone is rebuilding them, in theory, anyone could rebuild them. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 Van LE

Re: 1984-1985 Center Link (bell crank) toyota part number 4540229065 - Rebuild possib

Yeah, it looks quite possible to rebuild one...
    and it is not what you asked for, but there is a brand new one on ebay.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/362962776398...0ZQY27631057BJ
    I think it is isn't snapped up by someone, because he doesn't ship to the USA.
    I could help with that (I live in the Netherlands) but this thing is pricey, and shipping will probably be pricey too, and I think you are right, it is probably a cheap ball joint, that could be replaced if you manage to find the right one.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Vanwagon LE 5-Spd

Re: 1984-1985 Center Link (bell crank) toyota part number 4540229065 - Rebuild possib

Thanks. Seeing a new one it does look serviceable. It would be useful to have the measurements of the ball joint before I dismount and tear apart my center link. That price plus shipping from the Netherlands is probably more than I'd like to pay. But, once I get to doing this, I think I'll take measurements, share part numbers and make a write-up of how to rebuild this part, cause it sounds like almost everyone with an '84 or '85 has loose, wandering steering caused by this thing. It'd be nice to know how to fix it in a home shop.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Did you ever find a replacement ball joint? Or take the measurements? I'm in the same boat

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Vanwagon LE 5-Spd

I've had a lot of irons in the fire and haven't had the time to take the steering apart until I get another project done first, once it's done I plan on taking the center link out and getting measurements to see if a new ball joint can be pressed in or not.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van Wagon LE

I suspect you've probably seen these guys: https://www.rareparts.com/RP20611A-2...985-Toyota-Van

I just spoke with their sales guy. Turnaround time is 4-6 weeks (longer than I'd like to have my van sitting idle). He said they would not just sell me the joint. Sounds like it's a proprietary ball joint they are manufacturing in house. The remanufacture process requires boring out the hole and pressing in this slightly oversized joint to insure the correct fit.

I don't know where to begin to search for a ball joint manufacture catalog listed by diameter/length, stud length/taper, etc. I'll keep in touch for any more insights I get.