Thread: battery hooked up in reverse

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota vanwagon

battery hooked up in reverse

new guy here been on fourms in the past,u guys r the best...any way I fk up and hook batt up in reverse...wont turn over now...I do have headlights..what should I be checking for ??I looked at small fuses already..batt is new...help...

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: battery hooked up in reverse

Check your fusible links

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota vanwagon

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Check your fusible links
    hey tim as they say on here u r a god..lol..found the fusible links...I cant get a good look at the blk one ...80 amps? looks to be blown..also cant remove it...the rest pulled right out..is that one screwed in from the back of the box??it a 85 5 speed if that makes a diff...also I don't have pay pel and would love to send some cash your way..thanks again for any and all help...jt

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I have to admit I never got into the 3y vans (84-85) so not sure how different they are. I can tell you the 60A yellow one on the 86-89 vans (as shown in the fusible link thread) has a screw going into one leg from the side of the box. I suspect that's what they did on yours too. Thanks for your offer to donate to the site. We can also accept donations by Postal money order, please make it out to "ToyVan Support Group LLC" and PM me for the current address. Tim.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo van

Unfortunately same scenario, I have checked all the fusible links and fuses replaced both relays. van will start and run on starting fluid but no fuel pump action. Getting 12.5 V into the ECU but only 1.87 across E1-B/ B1. It did blow the fusible link in front of the battery box and the EFI 15 amp fuse under the dash, I can feel both relays clicking. there is no check engine light on the dash and the bulb is testing good. There is no noise or fuel sounds when testing the fuel pump with a jumper. Any and Suggestions would be helpful thanks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Hi and welcome to TVT! Check out THIS POST for troubleshooting tips. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo van

Thanks for the help so far but I'm still out here chasing my tail, I have no voltage at the blue wire on the COR, 1.87V on the black wire, 1.87 V from E1 to B and +B...have continuity between E1
    and T with the jumper in. 🤷 I know the voltage should be 10 to 12 V so I don't know why I'm getting 1.87. also I have no check engine light on the dash and the bulb checks out fine. Don't how to check the check engine circuit except for jumping the check plug. replaced the EFI relay with a new one and can feel it clicking when I turn the key. Any suggestions? Almost forgot… 1.8 V to the fuel pump check plug.
    Last edited by Chaka; 11-24-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo van

Good news, the 7.5 amp ignition fuse in the main fuse block was in the wrong spot it was in a blank spot below it.. Check engine light came back on with the key and it fired right up! Thanks so much for your help!