Thread: Loose connection - where?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Question Loose connection - where?

I replaced the alternator on my TV recently. Before starting it for the first time with the new alternator, I made sure the battery was fully charged and had the cranking amps tested as well. It started right up with no problem the first time. Then the next day, I got a funny noise when I turned the key to start it - sort of a cross between buzzing and clicking, not very loud and only for a few seconds. There was no sound of the engine starting to turn.

I rechecked the battery connections and tried again. This time, the same sound but much quieter and for less time than before, and the dashboard lights only stayed on briefly. It was suggested by a local parts shop that I check to make sure the wire to the starter is not loose. I thought maybe jostling the whole vehicle around a bit would move something and make a difference. So I did that, and tried again. This time, there was a single, dull "click" sound when I turned the key to try and start the van. Also, the dashboard lights only came on briefly when the key was in the "on" position and not when trying to start the engine. And they went out before turning the key to "off". Clearly something is loose.

My question for you guys is where do I look for a possible loose starter wire? I don't even know where the starter is. Do I need to have the car on a lift, or at least lift one wheel on a jack, to find and work on it?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Re: Loose connection - where?

I have read the thread about checking the starter (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...witch-question) and it's very helpful however the one thing it does not explain is where to find the starter. I assume it's under the van somewhere. Guess I'll eventually be able to find it but it would save some time and trouble if I knew where to begin the search.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's on the passenger side under & slightly behind the oil filter. It's mounted using a couple of the same bolts that mount hold the engine to the transmission. If you're taking it off, be sure to disconnect the battery 1st. You should also check the ground wire. It goes from the battery negative post to the frame under the van, then it connects to the engine at the driver's side motor mount area. Check your fusible links too.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Well I guess I found the starter. Has it got a funny little tube coming off the bottom of it? If so, I wonder what that's for... because I accidentally broke it.

This looks like a job for someone with a lift, and that ain't me.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The little tube is just a drain tube in case moisture gets into that area. The tube is only there to help keep the moisture (tire spray) from getting in. Being broken probably won't matter. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    You should also check the ground wire. It goes from the battery negative post to the frame under the van, then it connects to the engine at the driver's side motor mount area.
    That. Not only should you check it visually you should remove connection points and clean the frame under it. A battery operated grinder makes quick work of it. I also would just replace the negitive terminal with a heavier gauge wire and totally replace the ground. On my van I replaced it with 4 gauge. I've had that problem persist after putting in a new starter and re-grounding the battery fixed it for good.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's what I did to mine (post from another thread):

If you go higher than 80A you will at the very least need to upgrade the wire size from the alternator to the battery & the ground wire from the battery to the chassis & engine block. I went with 2/0 wire. Here's a picture of the ground cable I fabricated (sitting next to the original)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 Cargo

Here's what I did to mine (post from another thread):
    You always seem to go bigger and better than I do. lol Props to you. Thanks for being the single best source of info for these vans in the world.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, I only had to do that because I put a 250A Delco Remy alternator on my van. I'm using it to power an alternator driven welder, an inverter, and a couple air compressors.

Thanks for the kudos

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 Cargo

Yeah I went with the 4 gauge because of having a marine battery, inverter, 2 amps, 6 speakers and a 12" sub. Funny thing is since I listened to you about putting a denso alternator in I've had zero issues over the last 9 months. Four "lifetime" alts in 2 years vs. one denso in 9 months. Like a said your a wealth of knowledge.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Check out my Delco alternator next to my old Denso: