Thread: Recommended tire sizing for Celica 14x7?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    89 Townace 2CT 4wd 88 Vanwagon Auto 4WD

Recommended tire sizing for Celica 14x7?

I was wanting to get input on tire size when using the stock Celica 14x7 wheels on the van. It took me a while to find a set so tires are next.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Recommended tire sizing for Celica 14x7?

What year Celica?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    89 Townace 2CT 4wd 88 Vanwagon Auto 4WD

The standard early 80's Celica "Iron Cross" wheels from the around 84 or 85 GTS I think. They seem to be the most popular Toyota wheel out there. There was a stock version for the van but they are 14x6.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I may be a little off on exact numbers, but I've experimented with these before. Stock van rims are 5.5" wide & have about a 25mm positive offset. The 7" iron crosses are oriented about the same in regards to inner edge to hub face. In other words, the extra 1 1/2" of width is extended outward while the inner edge of the rim stays in the same place. If you go with the tire width recommended for these 7" rims they will likely rub on the sliding door. They will also rub on the front fenders while turning corners (especially if you hit a bump while doing so). If you run with tires meant for a 5.5" wide rim (like 195 75's) the sliding door won't rub. If you load it heavy the front will rub occasionally but only in extreme situations. If the van is empty and the torsions are cranked on the high side they probably would never rub. Tim