Thread: ATF readings: cold full, hot = nothing?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd

ATF readings: cold full, hot = nothing?

My 85 van had an ATF dipstick with cold and hot levels. (Cold range is below the hot range).

If I check it when it's cold, (or vehicle shut off for half an hour), it actually reads full, in the higher hot range.

If I check it when hot, (idle for a minute, shift through the gears, check in park), the dipstick basically has nothing on it (or maybe a few millimeters at the very bottom.)

Vehicle is being checked on level ground, dipstick is all the way in.

What gives? LOL. Am I checking it right?

If I add fluid, it will be far above the highest (hot) full line while cold.

Thanks.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd

Re: ATF readings: cold full, hot = nothing?

I think I may have figured it out.

Googling around the internet shows that on a number of vehicles, the 'cold' reading is relatively useless. I don't know that to be true of Toyota Vans, but, I decided to focus on the hot reading.

I found that Van Tech Member DavidSutton was so kind as to scan a PDF of a 1986 user's manual back in 2008. I assume the basics for ATF checks (link at bottom) are applicable to an 85. The manual states that ATF should be checked when vehicle is at operating temperature. Apparently, hot means hot.

It should be shifted through the gears, then read. (It gives a few other parameters regarding waiting after heavy city driving, etc.). I let the van idle to operating temp, then shifted through the gears. It took about 800ml to get between the reading between the 'hot' low and high marks. I added another 200ml for good measure.

The dipstick took a little effort to read, as once one pours the fluid in, and inserts the stick, it gets covered. So, I pulled it in and out a bit, then let it sit for a minute or two (still idling).

Hopefully I got it done. If someone here knows I did something improperly, kindly share. Thank you.

Link from DavidSutton (thank you David!) PDF...

(ATF check on Page 114 of the manual, or 119 when my PDF reader scrolls down).

http://home.comcast.net/~dwsutton/86toyvanOmanual1.pdf

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, it's true that getting a good reading can be troublesome. The fluid is thin (hard to see) and false readings are hard to avoid. I normally don't use the "cold" mark unless it's the initial servicing of an empty transmission (just to get "in the zone"). After vehicle has been warmed up and driven fluid level is adjusted to the "hot" mark. Whenever fluid is added or removed it's a good idea to shift through the gears then back to park. When checking level ALWAYS check both sides of the dip stick. If one side shows lower than the other, put more faith in the low side. Don't trust an individual reading. Wait until you get 3 consistent readings before you trust it. Holding the dipstick up to a good light helps.

I've learned from experience that while changing transmission fluid it saves time to measure what comes out, then put the same amount back in. I use a funnel and pour my drain pan into a gallon jug, then I use an identical (clean) jug and fill to the same level using new fluid. The transmission is then serviced from this jug. After a couple of quarts I start the engine, shift through the gears, then finish servicing SLOWLY with the engine running. Assuming the transmission fluid level was correct before, it will be correct again (no fussing around with incremental adding/subtracting of fluid). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd

Tim,

Measuring the fluid that comes out is a great idea. Simple and easy. Thanks