Thread: A/C Issues

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

A/C Issues

Hey guys. I recently added a can of this stuff in my 89 Toyota Van.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=121329529636

Its called maxi fridge and I was reading online about it how it is more efficient then both r12 and r134. Its actually called R12a. I bought it on ebay thinking it was R-12 but it wasn't Nonetheless after adding 1 can in my system the a/c blows cold but not cold enough. Probably around low 50 degrees F.

My mechanic didnt want to put both cans in there because he didnt have a gauge and didnt want to overcharge it. I plan to go back and get a guage and add the other can or maybe half of the other can.

The issue I am having though is my compressor keeps clicking on and off. It does this at idle and it does this while Im driving on the high way as well. Is this normal? I was reading something about a previa having a a/c amplifier or something, do our vans have those to?

I am more worried about it clicking even when Im driving it on the highway at like 2,000 rpms when it clicks off you can hear it clicking near the fuse box the van noticibly has more power. Then it clicks back on and I feel cold air coming again? What to check?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: A/C Issues

Yes there's an AC amplifier that hangs down by the glove box. There's a little knob to adjust idle speed for compressor (it can be adjusted to allow or disallow AC operation at idle speeds). If you're compressor is cycling at cruising rpm this is typically controlled by the thermistor. The thermistor is basically a thermostat probe that reads temp of your evaporator core. It's purpose is to prevent freeze-up of the evaporator. When temperature in this area gets close to freezing temps, the compressor will cycle off until temperature in this area increases. If the compressor is cycling and the air coming out isn't very cold, then I'd suspect a faulty thermistor. Troubleshooting for this is outlined in the service manual. Tim

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Any thoughts on what to check first if the a/c condenser fan down below is not running while the a/c is on?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Check the resistor on the condenser. I'd also try unplugging the condenser fan motor from the harness, then applying 12V directly to the leads (this will tell you if motor is good).

My Van(s):

I noticed how hot the driver seat and surrounding console and carpet gets when I turn the a/c on. It seems that the vans design is pretty much defeating the purpose for a/c anyway.

Has anyone done anything to fix this ? Put some protective material under the driver seat?

Also on a seperate. Note, I went to the dealer and they said the a/c resistor is discontinued. Anything to do about that?

My Van(s):

After finally getting around to it, My mechanic tested the a/c condenser fan and found out that the fan motor is bad. He said the resistor is good.

Question now is, where can I get the fan motor from? Has anyone done this job recently? Can I go aftermarket?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

A part like this is not likely to be found except used from a salvage vehicle or new from Toyota. Surprisingly this part has a reasonable price if purchased new from Toyota. It's Toyota part #88550-87002 with an MSRP of $119 -or- it can be purchased from a discount internet site like www.1stToyotaParts.com for around $85. Tim

My Van(s):

Thanks for the info Tim.