Thread: Van Service

My Van(s):
    1995 Toyota Spacia

Angry Van Service

So my dear van has been running crappy lately so I decided to do a service and figured I’d do everything I've been meaning to lately so get all the parts ready and start work Saturday morning. Whilst it's a 1995 Spacia which I know you don't have in the States engine wise it is a 1987 van with updated electrics (as in the diagnostic plug).

So jobs: change plugs, leads, distributor cap, distributor rotor, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, air filter, swap over fuel injectors with just cleaned and tested ones, change over throttle body with just cleaned one, change front brake pads, front wheel bearings and all four shock absorbers.

So, pull the engine cover off and the passenger side cover (mines reverse to all of you American people). No problems at all with any of that. Then I start taking the throttle body and plenum chamber off. Hose after hose break grrrrr. I know it’s probably a good thing it happened now but still a PITA. Then I realise my long thin wall socket I need to get the plenum off is missing. Half hour of searching and I have no idea where it is so my darling partner went off to get me a new one and new hoses. So I started other things, changed the leads, plugs, dizzy cap and rotor no problems. Drained the oil and had a coffee.

Finally get the chamber off and the spare injectors I had cleaned and tested are the wrong ones. swear swear swear Figure crap not much I can do now except one of the injectors that was on the van is possibly screwed and not much I could do about it on Saturday.

Sunday morning I take the rocker cover off to check the gasket as I suspect a small leak (yes I should of changed it last time I had it off) move the power steering hose and it cracks and fluid goes everywhere (hence the ready to drive it off a cliff). Remove that totally the finish taking off the cover to find the lovely three little washers are screwed. So again another thing that has to wait.

So I finished Sunday off changing the fuel and oil filters, and wheel bearings, couldn’t finish the brakes because I couldn’t torque the anchor plate due to my socket of that size being a double ended socket so it was too long to fit. I give up.

So today being Monday, I dropped the injectors off to be cleaned and tested and will possibly be ready Wednesday afternoon, got the rocker cover gasket and a new socket from one place. Sadly none of the aftermarket mobs over here had a listing for the power steering hose or the washers. So ring Toyota and have three washers coming from interstate surprisingly only $2.50 each. The hose, OMFG don’t remember the exact figure but $200+. As much as I would love to use the right hose I can’t justify that.

So tomorrow morning I will grab some bulk hose for that and then wait till probably Thursday before I look at it again once I have everything ready again.
    Oh I had to do a small fix on our other car so I figured while I’m dirty I’d finish off the brakes so that bit got done.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Conversion 4x4 manual 4Y 1987 Toyota VAN LE 4x4 AUTO 4Y and another identical one for parts

Re: Van Service

Glad to know Murphy's Law applies worldwide! You're not alone-we've all been there. Keeping the van alive is a labor of love

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

What you're going through is all pretty normal. The only real problem here was your expectation it was going to be easy (what the hell were you thinking) . These vans have taught me to never expect quick & easy repairs. It gets done when it gets done. I work until I get tired, then there's always tomorrow . Of course tomorrow will have it's own set of challenges, so it's just one step at a time. If you treat them right, these vans will usually reward you with years of trouble free service. The problem with yours is it's already given away it's 1st set of trouble free years (I'm guessing to somebody else). After some TLC the next set will be yours.

Keep in mind the engine compartment temps on the van are hotter than most other vehicles. As a result the rubber parts do not hold up well. I finally quit paying the big bucks for the special Toyota power steering hoses too. Now I simply use 5/8 ID hydraulic hose for the power steering pump suction/return hose, and I repair the pressure hoses with stuff from our local hydraulic shop. In case you ever need to fix one of those, here's a thread that should help: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ssure-Line-Fix. Tim

My Van(s):
    1995 Toyota Spacia

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    ... expectation it was going to be easy (what the hell were you thinking) .
    I think it was more wishful thinking than expecting. Mind you my darling wife and eldest daughter both pretty much said the same thing as you and that I should of known better.

Anyways, can't do a great deal this weekend as the injectors weren't done and seeing as the guy isn't charging me for doing them i'm not going to hassle him. But i figured i'll do the rear shockers and flush the brake fluid as i figure that should save me time when i get the injectors back.

Tim, I do have a question though. In a previous post of mine ages ago, you mentioned I have a Previa type diagnostic box so, would i be safe in assuming that the terminals if named the same will be the same? i.e. they have just put them all into the one spot?

I did say to the missus the other day that with all this work i'm doing on it i'm never going to want to get rid of it.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Conversion 4x4 manual 4Y 1987 Toyota VAN LE 4x4 AUTO 4Y and another identical one for parts

Tim and I have formed a support group for wives of Toyota Van owners. Just let her know she isn't alone and there is help out there available.

My Van(s):
    1995 Toyota Spacia

Quote Originally Posted by JFratzke View Post
    Tim and I have formed a support group for wives of Toyota Van owners. Just let her know she isn't alone and there is help out there available.
    lol. she cracked up laughing when i told her.

My Van(s):
    1995 Toyota Spacia

So it's taken three weekends but the van is back on the road.

Final list of things done: change plugs, leads, distributor cap, distributor rotor, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, air filter, fuel injectors cleaned and tested, change over throttle body with a clean and sparkly one (ok it wasn't sparkly but it was very clean), replace numerous little hoses, rocker cover gaket, power steering low pressure hose, change front brake pads, front wheel bearings and front shock absorbers.

Still to be done (hopefully the end of this week) change rear shocks and flush brake fluid. oh and get to the wreckers about my temp switch connector that broke.

The van is running better than it ever has since I've owned it.

Things learnt: allow for the van to be off the road for longer even if it does all go smoothly because it won't. Do the service more regularly.