Thread: New Leak -- Back of engine diagram?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van (Deceased) One 1991 Toyota Previa

New Leak -- Back of engine diagram?

Hi!

I unfortunately have another leak and am leaving tomorrow on a trip, so this is a bit of an SOS. I have another leak but we are so far unable to find a direct candidate. Some thoughts are that it might be a freeze plug? Are there any thoughts on that?

Does anyone by chance have a picture and/or a diagram of the back of the engine?

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: New Leak -- Back of engine diagram?

Is it leaking around the bell housing? May be the hose of deadly death!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The most common leak in this area is the bypass hose on the back of the head, AKA "the hose of death" There are 2 expansion type plugs on the back of the block, but only one has coolant behind it. In the picture below the blue arrow is the hose of death & the red arrow is the expansion plug (for the cooling system............other expansion plug is for access to the cam bearings). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Hi Tim!

Looking at it, I believe it is. Here are some pictures even though its dark -- maybe you can confirm?

And just two questions: I am going to a mechanic tomorrow at 9 a.m. Could this hose be fixed by noon? Is it named the hose of death because it is just the one that seems to fail often or because it is a real big job to replace?

Thank you beyond so much for your time

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's an access issue. Just take a look at the thread I linked you to above. This hose can be replaced without cutting an access hole, but the valve cover will need to be removed. If they go that route, they will probably break or damage all the rubber hoses & grommets along the way. That will certainly slow the job down. Regardless which way they go, the metal pipes for this hose could be rusted, & depending on how bad, that can also be an issue. In short, it's possible but not likely they can do this in 3 hrs. If they're like most shops, they probably won't start on it until 11:45 am, then realize it's not something they can accomplish in 15 minutes. Good luck. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    It's an access issue. Just take a look at the thread I linked you to above. This hose can be replaced without cutting an access hole, but the valve cover will need to be removed. If they go that route, they will probably break or damage all the rubber hoses & grommets along the way. That will certainly slow the job down. Regardless which way they go, the metal pipes for this hose could be rusted, & depending on how bad, that can also be an issue. In short, it's possible but not likely they can do this in 3 hrs. If they're like most shops, they probably won't start on it until 11:45 am, then realize it's not something they can accomplish in 15 minutes. Good luck. Tim
    Thank you truly so much Tim! Going now, really appreciate your help!