Thread: Front Locking Hubs - Tracker Option?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

Front Locking Hubs - Tracker Option?

Hey Gang,

So I've adopted an '87 4x4 5-speed LE and I would like to swap from the auto to the manual. I went to the yard today to find a aisin hub, and I found a pair... but both we're broken! I'm not talkin' scuffed and worn down. The casting was broken in half on both sides! Coincidentally I also saw a Tracker/Suzuki with locking front hubs. Since the wheels are compatible, are the hubs?

And to be sure I'm clear, the '86-'95 IFS Aisin hubs are plug and play, correct?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

Re: Front Locking Hubs - Tracker Option?

Well, I found some Aisin '87 4runner IFS hubs, will these bolt up, or is a fit kit required? I figured the IFS all had the same spline count. My solid axled Landcruiser is the '85 and before hub style.

...The yard truck also had an IFS lift kit on it, tempting...

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, these will work, but you will need to get the bearing nuts & washers too (the nuts & washers on the auto hubs are not interchangeable). Sorry for not answering earlier, but this has been discussed in detail multiple times here. If you use the search feature in the upper right side of the forum you should find all the info you could possibly want (and more). Here's a link to one such thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...74-Wheel-noise. Enjoy

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5-speed

Hi Tim, Thanks for the direction! I seem to find the threads that don't index the specific parts. So I need to grab the 54mm nuts (x2) and the lock and thrust washers (and gaskets). It is interesting that the spindles are still the same.