Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parting out Running 86 4wd 5 speed. Only 85k miles

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

Re: Parting out Running 86 4wd 5 speed. Only 85k miles

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Yeah, it was a pipe dream. I thought about it last night and PM'd him saying not to waste his time getting a quote. Not worth it to ship so far (around 2,000 miles). Did you end up with that other transmission/t-case?
    Transfer case arrived damaged from UPS. Package was fully insured but they do not want to pay out on it. Claim denied. It has been a nightmare dealing with them. I've never had high blood pressure, but I think I do now! I don't think I will use UPS again after this.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That sucks! Now I don't feel so bad about losing out on that one. Did they say why they wouldn't pay (improper packaging, etc)? I'm not sure about UPS, but I know some places will deny every claim, then only pay out if/when they get a summons. Even then some places won't pay until the last couple days before the case is to be heard. Of course most people won't go to that much trouble (and they know it)......bastards . I'm guessing if you keep checking the local salvage yards one will eventually show up. Over the past 5 years there's been (2) 5 speed 4wd vans in our local yards. Both were in nice shape too! I tried to buy the entire van the 1st time, but they refused to even entertain the idea. So I came back a week later to pull the drive train and the van was gone. I asked what happened and they said parts sales had been slow so they crushed it! It had only been in the yard for 2 weeks. Next one I saw I dropped everything and stripped it (same day). Here's a thread I started on that one: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s....php?758-Score!!! Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd + 1 similar parts van

Quote Originally Posted by austinfromflorida View Post
    I'd like to take that tranny/transfer case off your hands for a spare. How much to ship to Central Florida? Not sure if I need to look that info up or not. Thanks-
    Hi I sent you a PM, sorry for the slow response I haven't checked in here in a bit. Please feel free to email me direct to avoid any lag time. Cstbikes@gmail.com Thanks -Chris