Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Power Steering Leak

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 toyota van 5speed 4wd

Re: Power Steering Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Cadin View Post
    I used ABS plastic to make a shield for mine, a laundry detergent bottle could work well too!
    any pictures?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    85 toyota van

Hey guys my pump is leaking at the red line (picture taken from tim) im assuming thats the a gasket. Does anyone know the part number. I have a PS seal kit but it doesn't have a gasket. Good news is it only leaks when driving. Would you guys recommend a stopleak or cutting my own gasket? thanks! [ATTACH]11080
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

The large o-ring in the kit goes there. Tim posted a PDF of the pump rebuild from the service manual earlier in this thread that explains how to disassemble and rebuild if you need it.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4WD

Hi Tim,
    Digging into this specific leak (flow control port).
    I pulled the cap and there was no O-ring on it.
    All the ones in the suggested Edelman kit seem too thick to fit in the groove there. I tried some others from a universal kit.
    Did you use a different O-ring? The factory one- 96711-19014?
    Also there seems to be 2 grooves in the cap- Im assuming you put it in the one closer to the top? Any advice to get it in there and installed back in the port? It would seem to be a tight fit.
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I suppose it could leak from any of the seals, but the other common spot I've found is the o-ring that seals the flow control port on the engine side of the pump. It's too tight to access with the pump installed, so the entire thing will need to come off before you can change it. Since it's tight quarters here, it's even hard to verify a leak from this port with the pump installed. If the fluid is leaking down the engine side of the pump and then dripping on the alternator, it's a pretty safe bet that this is the spot it's leaking from. Once the pump is off you'll need a small set of snap-ring pliers and a small screwdriver. Slightly depress the flow control valve cap with the screwdriver (to relieve pressure against the snap-ring), then remove it using the snap ring pliers. The cap has a spring pushing against it and it's easy to lose parts if the spring launches the cap. The o-ring goes in the groove that runs the periphery of the cap. Here's an illustration. Tim

BTW, the o-ring on the suction port (previous post) is Toyota Part #96711-19013. The o-ring on the flow control port cap (this post) is part #96711-19014.

Here's a couple other power steering related threads:
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...g-system-noise
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...alot-of-fluid!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The spring seat (what I call the cap) is marked on the above diagram as part #44343. It should only have one groove, but if for some reason there are 2, then choose the one that seems the most appropriate??? The o-ring is marked on that diagram as #44343A (96711-19014). As for what I did when repairing mine??? that was over 10 years ago so I don't have a crystal clear recollection. I assume I most likely stole that o-ring from an Edelmann repair kit, then ordered a replacement from Toyota to make my kit complete again. Tim