Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake Light Troubleshooting

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

Re: No Brake Lights...?

Before taking it to a shop, take a moment to push the metal cylinder out of each plastic socket housing and re-twist the white wire end so it has a good contact with the metal cylinder wall, and then reinstall. All of these little connections can loosen up over time, even when they appear solid.

Name:  IMG_20161030_151532-20.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  71.7 KB

Van Enthusiast blakebecker37130's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    96 Previa Alltrac SC LE

Deesh,

use your multimeter, if you have one and check to see if you are getting signal post brake switch. If you are then the issue is post switch and should be pretty easy to resolve. A good meter can be had for less than 70.00 and will pay for it's self quick. I like my Actron CP-7677. It's great for these vans because it has a function to check rpm and comes in handy when doing other tasks like timing.

Best regards,

Blake

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Another indispensable tool for these kind of repairs is a simple 12V test light.
    They can be had for a few dollars just about anywhere, even some of the "better" dollar stores carry them!

They are no replacement for a meter, but they can tell you a lot without having to find your glasses to see if your on the right scale....
    Some people are wary of meters as they can appear complicated (and sometimes they are) but there is nothing intimidating about a test light.

Quickly eliminates the many of the variables, like verifying if your new brake switch is actually working, it probably is, but unless you check it electrically you don't know 100% that it is.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    85 LE 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by Deesh View Post
    cleaned all the contacts, they were a little dirty but not too bad, shiny now! but still no brake/stop lights, going to take it to a shop I guess?
    Deesh, did you ever resolve your issue? I'm experiencing the same problem.

Some of my wiring seems pretty suspect as well. When I press down on the brake pedal with ignition switch off and key out - my interior fan will turn on?..

I'm replacing the bulbs tomorrow to rule out the burnt out filament possibility.

Kirk

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 LE Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkmccoll View Post
    Deesh, did you ever resolve your issue? I'm experiencing the same problem.

Some of my wiring seems pretty suspect as well. When I press down on the brake pedal with ignition switch off and key out - my interior fan will turn on?..

I'm replacing the bulbs tomorrow to rule out the burnt out filament possibility.

Kirk

Kirk,
    Did you ever figure out this problem. I'm having the same issue and cant seem to trouble shoot!
    Much appreciated.

Riley