Thread: Front bearing locking nut torque (2wd)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '94 Previa LE

Front bearing locking nut torque (2wd)

Today I received my front hub and spindle back from the machine shop where I had my new Timken/NSK bearing pressed in, they said they normally do not torque down the locking nut. When looking through the Chilton manual, reinstallation information lacked a procedure of torqueing down this locking nut. My simple guess was to tighten down to where the prior peen in the nut (relative to notch in hub threading) was but when I tried to rotate the hub it would not move without substantial force and the hub needed to be in a vise to do so, my guess too tight. I found out from a Toyota dealer that the torque is 147 ft/lb for this nut, I removed the lock nut and hammered the hub to loosen and I tried to bring to this torque and it seemed to line up to the peen/notch but again so tight that I cant rotate the hub at all.

On other internet sources I saw torque values as low as 13 ft/lb (LOCKING HUB CENTER BOLT) and as high as 166 ft/lb (AXLE SPINDLE NUT). On other Toyota forums for other RWD Toyotas, procedures were posted as follows:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8...-bearings.html
    Tighten the hub nut to 25 foot-pounds.
    Turn the hub several times to snug down the bearing.
    Loosen the hub nut until the hub can be turned by hand.
    Using a spring scale attached to a lug stud, measure the force. necessary to start the hub turning. This is the frictional force of the oil seal. Write this value down.
    Using the same spring scale, tighten the hub nut until the preload force is 1.3 to 4 foot-pounds (plus the frictional force measured before).
    Measure the hub end play with a dial indicator, should be 0.002" or less.

What's the correct way to install this lock nut so I don't burn out this new bearing?

Thanks!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Front bearing locking nut torque (2wd)

Mocne - I do not have a Previa so cannot speak to the situation at hand.
    That said, the search function should yield much info.

Axle nut torque specs on the order of 150#'s+ are the sort of thing that I associate with FWD axles, or perhaps an AWD Previa.

Your signature suggests that you have a 2wd Prev, so I think you have either cup & cone or sealed assemblies.
    Either way, if you have torqued them to 150#'s, they should probably be replaced, as you have potentially done severe damage by over-torquing them.

Factory manuals are your friend here, not the internet, or ask before you action, to avoid damaging critical parts.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Front bearing locking nut torque (2wd)

Found this by googling "1994 previa front hub" then looked at images. In figure 1 it looks to be a unit bearing and the torque spec is 147 ft lbs.