Thread: Where to attach lift chain when removing engine??

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

Where to attach lift chain when removing engine??

Hey guys -

I'm about to throw my new (well, new to me) engine on my engine stand to start degreasing and fixing up, but I'm not sure where to attach the lift chain on the rear part of the engine.

I thought about attaching the chain to one of the bell housing bolts because I'm sure it would be strong enough, but this would make it hard to get onto the engine stand.

I couldn't find any exact pictures showing the bolt you guys are hooking onto, but it looks like people are bolting the chain onto one of the rear vacuum modules (not sure the tech term) below spark plug #4. Is this right? Will this bolt hold the engine's weight?

Any input would be great! Thank you!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: Where to attach lift chain when removing engine??

are you missing the hook that's above the power steering pump? I use that hook and one of the holes above or below(can't remember offhand) the spark plug for two points.-use a long bolt so it goes in deep. If you look up Timsrv rebuild blog I think he has a picture there somewhere.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by djshimon View Post
    are you missing the hook that's above the power steering pump? I use that hook and one of the holes above or below(can't remember offhand) the spark plug for two points.-use a long bolt so it goes in deep. If you look up Timsrv rebuild blog I think he has a picture there somewhere.
    Awesome, thank you djshimon! I definitely do have the hook above the power steering pump for my front point, so that's good! I wanted to make sure one of those holes around the spark plug would be strong enough to hold the engine, so that helps a lot.

I'll take one of those bolts to ACE Hardware to get a longer one based on your suggestion.

Thanks again for the input!

-Hugh

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I used the small one on the right and the hook. But if you're worried the big one on theName:  WP_20160725_10_45_32_Pro.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  88.7 KB left is pretty stout

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

I used the small one on the right and the hook. But if you're worried the big one on the left is pretty stout
    Nice, thanks DJShimon!

Did you just use that exact bolt, or did you go buy a longer one?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I just looked for one on the engine I could use. If you're close to a hardware store you could buy one but there's plenty on there. I put a washer on it so it didn't pull through the chain.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

If you're just using it for a few minutes to get it on the stand you should be fine. If you were hanging the engine for weeks and using it like a backyard swing you might want to use a better bolt hole

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

If you're just using it for a few minutes to get it on the stand you should be fine. If you were hanging the engine for weeks and using it like a backyard swing you might want to use a better bolt hole
    Haha, that's great I will only have it up for a few minutes until I can get the stand situated, so I'll just stick with the bolt on there! Saved me a trip to the store, thanks!

Maybe I'll use my blown engine as a swing in the yard