Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: diagnosing a headgasket failure

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Re: diagnosing a headgasket failure

Hey Tim:

I am changing my head gasket and when I compare the new with the block the holes are different where the water jacket is. Can you take a look at these pics? They use holes in some areas and not triangles.

I made red circles around where there are holes on the gasket and then where they line up on the head. You can see that only 4 triangles are on the gasket compared to 7 on the block. The remaining are just holes.

Do you think this was done intentionally?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

What brand gasket is that? I believe the OE Toyota head gaskets to be NLA, but if you can get one of those, that would be my 1st choice. FWIW, I don't know a lot about why the gaskets don't always match, but IMO, I think the casting holes are only approximate and Toyota likely dials things in with the size/location of the holes they put into the head gaskets. I don't have a lot of trust in aftermarket brands, but I totally trust Toyota gaskets to be accurate and of high quality. I just dug out one of my OE Toyota head gaskets and snapped some pics for you to compare:

OE Toyota 4Y head gasket (top)

OE Toyota 4Y head gasket (bottom)

FYI, I also have several other brands of gaskets in my inventory. With the possible exception of the MLS gasket (last one pictured) I probably won't use any of these until my Toyota inventory is used up. I'm posting more pics below for you to compare:

ITM aftermarket 4Y head gasket (top)

ITM aftermarket 4y head gasket (bottom)

Note: This ITM gasket appears to be of high quality and I would not hesitate to try it when my Toyota gaskets are depleted.

Engine Tech aftermarket 4y head gasket (top)

Engine Tech aftermarket 4y head gasket (bottom)

Note: This Engine Tech gasket also appears to be of high quality

McCord aftermarket 4y head gasket (top)

McCord aftermarket 4y head gasket (bottom)

Note: This McCord gasket appears to be of questionable quality. I would avoid this brand.

Stainless steel shim type MLS head gasket for 4y forklift (top)

Stainless steel shim type MLS head gasket for 4y forklift (bottom)

Note: MLS gaskets typically last longer and hold up to higher pressures (a good choice for superchargers and turbos) but they need a mirror flat surface on the head and block to seal. These are only recommended if you have the engine out and can take to a machine shop for precision machine work. ALSO, since this gasket is sold for forklifts, it does not have all the coolant holes required for automotive applications. If/when I use this I will compare to one of my Toyota OE gaskets and use it as a guide to punch the holes required. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

It is made by Fel-Pro. It is the same one I got the first time. But your pics tell a thousand words. Mine is idenical to the OE Toy. The head did not fail on its own. The hose of death broke just as it is leaving the head. I was on the highway at 3200 rpm and did not catch the temp meter in time. The head got warped and piston 2 and 3 lost compression. Turned out the valves in 2 and 3 were also killed. So I have my newly made head and the same head gasket I had before. So I will proceed today getting her re-assembled.

Great pics Tim. Really tells the story well.

Thank you so much.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

One more thing Tim. FYI. The hose of death was the recommended Gates hose. When removed it broke appart in my hands. It was no longer soft but instead hard as a rock. I ordered in some high temp 500deg hose to replace it with. Man am I glad I did you cut out in the back of the firewall so I can get to. Whooooof