Thread: Fuel tank capacity??

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota cargo van 5 speed

Wink Fuel tank capacity??

I’m new to the forum and have an unreliable fuel gauge. I cannot for the life of me find a replacement fuel sending unit so i am posting here to see if anyone has a definitive answer to the single biggest question plaging me to this day. Does anyone know exactly how many gallons the gas tank holds on an 86 van wagon? I’m assuming they are all the same but mine is a 2wd manual transmission cargo van just incase there is a difference. I haven’t been able to determine exactly how many gallons the tank holds so i can calculate the safe mileage the poor mans way.. I’ve been topping it off every 4-5 days or so which to be honest has been a little of a nuisance lately.. (especially since where i live there’s always a huge line to get gas) I’m afraid to run out of gas or to run the tank too low and start damaging the pump. I apologize for the rant, just a little frustrated with this issue haha thanks for your help guys!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota van

Re: Fuel tank capacity??

Quote Originally Posted by Tmike87 View Post
    I’m new to the forum and have an unreliable fuel gauge. I cannot for the life of me find a replacement fuel sending unit so i am posting here to see if anyone has a definitive answer to the single biggest question plaging me to this day. Does anyone know exactly how many gallons the gas tank holds on an 86 van wagon? I’m assuming they are all the same but mine is a 2wd manual transmission cargo van just incase there is a difference. I haven’t been able to determine exactly how many gallons the tank holds so i can calculate the safe mileage the poor mans way.. I’ve been topping it off every 4-5 days or so which to be honest has been a little of a nuisance lately.. (especially since where i live there’s always a huge line to get gas) I’m afraid to run out of gas or to run the tank too low and start damaging the pump. I apologize for the rant, just a little frustrated with this issue haha thanks for your help guys!
    My Chilton book says 15.9 gal.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 van wagon 1986 van cargo

Re: Fuel tank capacity??

I believe the fuel tanks for 2wd vans are identical . My gauge has not worked for years, I assume the capacity to be under 15 gallons, and fill up at 120- 200 miles, my van gets 20 mpg consistently.