Thread: Window Regulator Removal

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Window Regulator Removal

Today I removed the window regulator and tried to take a few pictures to help remember how to do it when I clean up my regulators.

This may not be the proper order of operations of removal so if anyone has a easier way please add more info... I’m a total Noob here!!

Remove the food handle release screw

Remove the window crank, I used this tool to slowly pry out the clip that holds the crank, do it slowly cause the first one I popped out and it disappeared into the gravel.

Remove the door panel

Remove the 2 10mm screws that hold the window and pull the window out. I didn’t do this cause I didn’t realize till I was struggling with the regulator trying to take it out with the window still attached and wishing I had 2 more arms/hands coming out of my back!!!

Remove these 5 10mm screws

Remove the inner/outer window trim and be sure to keep the clips. There’s 2 different types of these window trim this one is the basic for type for the cargo van. The LE ones are nicer. Oh and I didn’t remove the window first but I should have.

Now you can pull the regulator out of the top. You have to make some room cause the crank is a bit wide but if you wiggle and spread the door a little it’ll come right out.

If anyone has an easier way please feel free to add more info!!!

In this post I’ll post a photo of the regulator but I’ll need help figuring out what’s the best way to clean it and where to add lubricant to make it work better. Please feel free to add that info!!

JDM

My Van(s):

Re: Window Regulator Removal

Driver side ready for servicing

JDM

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

My universal goto cleaning tools: Gloves, Undiluted Simple green cleaner, a 1 or 2 inch throw away paint brush, small scraper or razor blade, shop rags, water for rinsing and optionally compressed air.
    Lube: Light spray of white lightning grease on gears and pivot points. Very light! wipe off excess! (old dryed lube attract and keep dirt and grime)
    Last edited by Carbonized; 05-19-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):

Nice thank you for the detailed reply!!

JDM

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Also, here is a trick I use to remove the crank handle:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lg8X-IKP4

LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):

Much easier trick, I better add a towel to the toolbox!!

JDM

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
    My universal goto cleaning tools: Gloves, Undiluted Simple green cleaner, a 1 or 2 inch throw away paint brush, small scraper or razor blade, shop rags, water for rinsing and optionally compressed air.
    Lube: Light spray of white lightning grease on gears and pivot points. Very light! wipe off excess! (old dryed lube attract and keep dirt and grime)
    Did you mean "White Lithium grease"?
    Because that's what I use. Comes in a spray can from any automotive supply store.
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

I have always removed the glass assembly through the top of the door - angle front down slightly, tilting out at the top as you lift out. For the regulator, once collapsed (glass down position) and the two 10 MM bolts removed it then fits out the larger hole cut in the center of the door. No need to remove the window moulding and bend the panel to fit the regulator out the top.

SoORYotas

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by SoORYotas View Post
    I have always removed the glass assembly through the top of the door - angle front down slightly, tilting out at the top as you lift out. For the regulator, once collapsed (glass down position) and the two 10 MM bolts removed it then fits out the larger hole cut in the center of the door. No need to remove the window moulding and bend the panel to fit the regulator out the top.

SoORYotas
    Thank you for that tip, after removing both regulators I realized the window should have come out first and then thought maybe it would have easier if the regulator could fit thru the bottom section but too late I took both of them out of the top.

Next van I’ll be doing it that way!!

JDM

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by trestlehed View Post
    Did you mean "White Lithium grease"?
    Because that's what I use. Comes in a spray can from any automotive supply store.
    Yes I did ! Just my brain trying to multi task....and failing
    LG.

My Van(s):

Dang man and I was running around asking for white lighting grease grease lighting grease... ummm... eerrrr.... just give me some lubricant for my window regulator

JDM

My Van(s):

I was typing and taking to my wife on the phone when the dog just rushed under the desk ( big thunder and light show outside). The tongue went one way, the fingers another way, the brain short circuited! Now what is this about lubricating your wi,dow operator?
    LG.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota vanwagon 4WD

Anybody know if i can find a replacement for that mechanism? The dents on mine are chipped.

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by SunnySlowLaneClub View Post
    Anybody know if i can find a replacement for that mechanism? The dents on mine are chipped.
    If you cannot find it in a junk yard, a Mig welder and a file will do the trick.
    LG.