Thread: Over heating / reservoir full / cold air from vent

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 TV 2wd M/T 87 4x4 LE A/T

Over heating / reservoir full / cold air from vent

Over heating /: hey guys van just overheated while waiting on an up hill for a few stop lights in traffic ( cold ambient temp). I got her pulled into and parking spot and shut down as quick as possible (quick enough I think).

I looked under the van and coolant was dripping and quickly forming a small puddle on the ground. It looked like it was coming from the lower radiator hose. Steam / smoke was also visible coming from the same spot. This hose has leaked on me in the past.

The overflow reservoir is pretty much full. Which is unusual for my van. the overflow reservoir outlet hose is wet at the end and looks like it drains pretty much right onto the lower radiator hose as far as I can tell.

Also I turned the heat and fan to maximum once I noticed the temp gauge had spiked. To relieve some of the heat from the engine. But the air blowing was not hot... It was maybe 5 minutes until i got the car parked and engine shut off. During this time the air coming from the heater vents never got hot, this is unusual for my van.

Why would the overflow reservoir have filled up? Is it likely my problem is a leaky radiator hose or something else causing the overflow reservoir to overflow???

Thanks guys. I've got the hood up waiting for her to cool off now.

Any advice on how to trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd work van 87 4wd play van

Re: Over heating / reservoir full / cold air from vent

Too late at night to puzzle this out, but twice in the last 12 months I have had major coolant leaks caused by corrosion in the long metal pipes carrying coolant through the engine compartment (once on the passenger side, once on the driver's side). In spite of looking like swiss cheese at the point of failure, there was no sign of leakage until they "blew"! Something to check for.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I remember when I first got my van the water pump blew in the driveway when I got home (phew) and there was a puddle under the van and coolant looked like it was possibly coming from the lower hose, my neighbor a Chevy guy came over and looked at it and said “looks like the water pump” sure enough he was right....

But double check what bigeo is saying as well!! Also check out this post-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ght=water+pump

Good luck

JDM

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Quote Originally Posted by bigeo View Post
    Too late at night to puzzle this out, but twice in the last 12 months I have had major coolant leaks caused by corrosion in the long metal pipes carrying coolant through the engine compartment (once on the passenger side, once on the driver's side). In spite of looking like swiss cheese at the point of failure, there was no sign of leakage until they "blew"! Something to check for.
    I found the same issue. Had to replace the cheesy sections.
    Would of been disastrous if it had blown when driving

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 TV 2wd M/T 87 4x4 LE A/T

Thanks guys! I replaced the thermostat and temp gauge has been good driving Seattle to southern Oregon next week, so that will be the test

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Great Hopefully you have an event-less trip. Can you take a minute to confirm after your return? please. And can anybody explain why the full return tank ???? I went to look at a van for sale yesterday, and the tank was full after 5 minutes running?? It had a new stat.??
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.