Thread: How Long does your Battery Last?

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Arrow How Long does your Battery Last?

I was at the Okanagan Barter Faire this Weekend and someone with an 86 approached me cause he saw my 85 sitting there. He asked me how long my battery lasted. His needs a jump too often even after a new battery. I had just killed my battery a few times recently while dealing with a failing alternator and the last time it went down to 8.2 when it finally did blow. I had it tested after the ordeal but it died on me this weekend after leaving the passenger side door open for too long--i was diligent and shut it whenever I saw it open for no reason. The door light that comes on when the front doors are open is out on the passenger side so it was only the 1 little light on the drivers side door would be on. I also don't use the door/dome lights normally. I used the dome light to see maybe 1-2 minutes worth.

I started the van and let it run for awhile before I loaded the van the morning I needed to leave. I had the van on for maybe 10 minutes while I opened the sunroof to load the roof rack.Started it again to close the sunroof (It closes better when the vehicle is a t a little higher RPM). I had it fully loaded, maybe 2-3 hours later. The passenger side door hand been opened a bunch and left open longer, but I still kept on closing it whenever I saw it. Time to leave it barely cranked. RPM gauge flew to the limit and dropped back down. I tried it three times. It was very alarming. But I figured I would try jumping it before I panicked about my van having a serious issue. Luckily I was able to slide the load over slightly and get to the battery box, but it would have otherwise been a PIA had I been loaded differently. Jumped fine after about 5 minutes of charging.

Drove it about 40 miles and stayed at a hotel. In the morning it almost didn't start. Luckily it cranked over the second time and I was able to make it home.

Aside from my battery is probably dead (7yrs old and multiple drains) why does the battery drain so quickly? Is it common in these vans? Can I replace the side door lights to LED without harming anything? How long does your battery last?

Has anyone ever extended their battery cables to be jump-start accessible by the side/bottom of the vehicle instead of through the side window?I feel it would be beneficial since I often have stuff in my van that's inconvenient to move at those moments.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Re: How Long does your Battery Last?

There are four threads that show up when I search using the tag battery (parasitic drain). That seems like the logical place to start your research!

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")