Thread: Cranks, sparks, no error code

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 5 speed cargo van 2WD

Cranks, sparks, no error code

Greetings TVT, a few months ago my 87 4YEC 5 speed began having starting issues. The first start of the day began to require 2-3 attempts before it would fire up, and sometimes it would be very ruff for about 5 seconds (like not all plugs sparking) but then it would smooth out and it would also start up fine for the rest of the day. Then the day came when it took more than 5 tries before it finally started, and a few days later it wouldn't start at all. My mechanic buddy came and whispered to it and told me to try turning the key to ON for a few seconds, 5 times in a row, and it started after that, which pointed to a dying fuel pump. I jumped the test connector and got zero error codes (1 blink every 4.5 seconds). However, after replacing the fuel pump, once again it would not start, so I began following the troubleshooting steps in the manual. COR was not sending power out, jumped the FP test connector and determined that although the MAF had tested fine with an ohm tester, the FP switch inside must have failed because the FP fired up with the test connector bypassed. Still no error code displaying. Replaced MAF and pump worked as it should after that. Also swapped the ECU because I have an extra one. Still no error code. All relays and fuses and wire continuity have been checked multiple times now. Spark plug wires are sparking, FP is pumping, starter is cranking. Still no error code displayed. What should I check next? Coil? Spark plugs? Injectors? I read all the other threads with similar issues and I'm guessing that checking to see if the sparkplugs are wet is the next step. Since I've been trying to diagnose this for 4 weeks now, and keep thinking I have fixed the problem, I might as well share what's going on. Things could be easier but I also live in my van with my crazy dog and I've been having my friend tow it from spot to spot everytime the city tags me. All the cranking of the engine has now killed my battery. I'm alive tho, and so I guess I'm still kind of a happy camper...- J
    Last edited by jmac333; 09-11-2020 at 02:13 AM. Reason: It started up once I charged the battery, problem solved!