Thread: No Merry" Xmas Dash", No start~~

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 LE

No CEL!! No Christmas Dash~

Happy Holidays,
    (or Helladays??!! )
    Hoping one of you kind wizards might have a clue...
    1986 2wd Van Wagon...Was running alright. Sat for a while, came home, fired right up. Battery light stayed on for a while, then went out. Went about 100 miles no problemo. Fueled up to head out of town and my mileage had dropped from normal almost 25mpg to about 16!!?? Thought a mouse had plugged up my air holes..But no...She ran alright on the freeway, but seemed to lack power going up hill. She also died 2 times at stop lights but fired right back up...Canceled trip and turned around.
    Replaced O2 sensor...Test drove and battery light came back on!! Idled rough at one stoplight, then cleared up. Noticed a new "putt-putting sound from tailpipe...
    Battery light was staying on dash. Could not get any codes using jump wire--no blinks, just solid light.(I noted that I heard a faint clicking when I wiggled the jump wire.)

Alternator test (thru battery at O'reily's) came up bad voltage regulator, which seemed to jive with what I read here. Battery tested fine, but I replaced the voltage regulator into original Denso alt with 100k. Bench tested twice and passed.

Battery light was still on so I cleaned the terminal connectors again and then it went out. Thought I had it, but alas, no.

No dash lights will come on except for the Door indicator, Blinkers, and Brights...And no start!!, She cranks, I smell gas but no go. Fusible links looked good..
    Sound like a fuse?? No more clicking when I fiddle with the code jumper wire. I thought it was air, then maybe fuel, but...the lack of dash lights!!??
    Found a lot on the site about "Christmas Dash," Wish I had one
    So, what say the crew? Thanks~~
    Cheers,
    Moss~
    Last edited by mosshopper; 12-31-2020 at 01:06 PM. Reason: forgot detail

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 LE

Re: No CEL!! No Christmas Dash~

Update:
    Rechecked some fuses, a relay, and breaker...All looked fine.
    Put the key in, Charge light lit up and she fired right up, and the light went out!! Good news.
    Tried to check codes with jumper...Now hearing the click again but still no codes or blinking of any kind.
    The Charge light is the only one to light up, no SeatBelt, Engine,etc...
    Seems fishy. I'm itchin' to get on the road but don't want her going TU on me after the strange sequence of events!
    What the hay?? Any thoughts?
    Many thanks..
    Last edited by mosshopper; 12-31-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 LE

Re:No CEL!! No Christmas Dash~

Could ECU problem take out all of the dash warning lights except for Battery and Door??
    The clicking noise when I insert the code check jumper wire is coming from a blue connector with 2 wires above and 2 vacuum hoses of some sort below located beneath the big air intake hose.. Is that normal?
    hmmmm....
    Last edited by mosshopper; 12-31-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 LE

Re: No Merry" Xmas Dash", No start~~

Well, no doubt you all already knew this, but...
    It was the Gauges fuse!! I checked it 3 times!! With a meter... And it was good I tell ya!!
    Guess the 4th time's a charm for a dumb Swede!!
    Was getting ready to pull and disassemble the ECU...
    Stay safe gang, lots of crazies out there!
    Update:
    She seems to go alright but died at a few stops which she hasn't done before.??? Starts right back up..
    Last edited by mosshopper; 12-31-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: update