Thread: Thoughts on Blocking of Throttle body coolant lines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

Thoughts on Blocking of Throttle body coolant lines

So to make a long story short I am installing a Standalone ecu in my 1982 volvo and building a 400hp beast. In my search for a throttle body I came across a Q45 throttle body. This throttle body has coolant lines going to it, and so do our vans. I know I heard of one guy that blocked/bypassed the coolant lines his vans throttle body and he said he was also able bypass the HOD.

So at first I thought these lines were too cool it but they also assist with idle when cold. this is not needed and is removed in Mustangs and corvettes and lots of other cars build for performance it is a huge failure point and I know of another van owner that said his clogged and he though caused overheating problems.

So I can remove these coolant lines and always put them back someday, but I cant put back the hole I have to cut to get to the HOD. So I just want to hear others ideas. I know what I will be doing. In fact I will be going Maxxecu in the next year, and someday a small turbo. forget the turbo though with the standalone ecu you have much more control and you can use any sensors you want. So you don't need oem parts. you can adapt anything within reason.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Re: Thoughts on Blocking of Throttle body coolant lines

One of the first things I did when I got my first van was bypass the cooling lines to the throttle body. Making the air hotter as it goes into your engine isn't good for performance. You can't eliminate the hose of death though until you stop using the factory idle air control, which needs coolant to work right. When I switched over to a mega squirt ECU I adapted a 90s mustang throttle body. It provided no coolant passages, no vacuum passages, a good throttle position sensor and a good idle air control.