Thread: how to do the waterpump and timing belt on a 3c-t (2ct will be the same)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Townace

how to do the waterpump and timing belt on a 3c-t (2ct will be the same)

When i did my water pump and timing belt for my 3ct I made a walk thru with part numberstownace timing belt and water pump 3ct 2c.pdf

My Van(s):
    1996 liteace 4wd 2.2l turbo diesel

Re: how to do the waterpump and timing belt on a 3c-t (2ct will be the same)

Thanks for the excellent write up! What condition did you find your timing belt and pump to be in? My van seems to have been well maintained, but I have no records. (I wonder what "timing belt" looks like in Japanese!) I Suspect mine was changed at 100K Kilometers, but that's a risky assumption.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Townace

if i was going on looks alone i would assume it didn't need to be done. i did it right before I hit 100km

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 Van LE

Quote Originally Posted by gringo-gaucho View Post
    Thanks for the excellent write up! What condition did you find your timing belt and pump to be in? My van seems to have been well maintained, but I have no records. (I wonder what "timing belt" looks like in Japanese!) I Suspect mine was changed at 100K Kilometers, but that's a risky assumption.
    If your van is from 1996, I think it should have been replaced 3 times, usually it is 100k, or a certain number of years years, whatever comes first. I think usually it is 7 or 8 years.

My Van(s):
    1996 liteace 4wd 2.2l turbo diesel

Interestingly, the "maintanence note" book had some pages torn out that would have perhaps identified the original owner. There were no records, but in the engine bay was a sticker, all Japanese, with 97,997 km noted. An internet translation reveals that this is indeed a timing belt change record. Here in the US, changing something based on years alone would be unusual, but elsewhere people seem to care more about their things, an admirable quality. All of the cars I see at the dump are newer than anything I drive. Maintenance matters...