Thread: Water leaking in behind glovebox

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Water leaking in behind glovebox

Hey all, during an intense thunderstorm today I noticed a small drip behind the glove box on the far left side. I remembered reading here about a water leak that sometimes wreaked havoc on the van's fuse box but I couldn't remember the details and didn't find anything searching! Any idea what might be going on / how concerned I should be? Also just flipped my A/C on yesterday for the first time in like a year to see if it magically worked (I don't think it does.) So I'm not sure if there could be water coming from the a/c system somehow. Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 269k on the clock & counting!

Re: Water leaking in behind glovebox

Hmm, I haven't heard of this since it rarely rains where I live, but the fuse box is located underneath the glovebox, not behind it since i did take a poke behind once out of curiosity (if you look underneath towards the side of your radio you should see it just underneath the relays above it, a black box about ye-big with a cover on the front for you to remove and inspect your fuses of course!) and that would not be good! Maybe tim or someone with more knowledge can chime in on this leak... Thankfully, my only "water leaks" are the top of my windshield when it rains

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Hey all, during an intense thunderstorm today I noticed a small drip behind the glove box on the far left side. I remembered reading here about a water leak that sometimes wreaked havoc on the van's fuse box but I couldn't remember the details and didn't find anything searching! Any idea what might be going on / how concerned I should be? Also just flipped my A/C on yesterday for the first time in like a year to see if it magically worked (I don't think it does.) So I'm not sure if there could be water coming from the a/c system somehow. Thanks!
    On mine, it was coming through the windshield washer nozzles on the front of the van. They are sealed to the van body by gaskets that were all brittle and broken with age. I removed the nozzles (there are sliding clips under the dash holding them in) and used sealant to seal them to the van body. On my van, the water was running down the inside of the sheet metal and pooling on the floor.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

That sounds like it very well could be the culprit! My washer fluid pump quit recently and the fan has never worked so it seems like sooner or later I need to pull apart the dash. Not looking forward to it haha! Thanks for the intel

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Quote Originally Posted by 89van View Post
    Hmm, I haven't heard of this since it rarely rains where I live, but the fuse box is located underneath the glovebox, not behind it since i did take a poke behind once out of curiosity (if you look underneath towards the side of your radio you should see it just underneath the relays above it, a black box about ye-big with a cover on the front for you to remove and inspect your fuses of course!) and that would not be good! Maybe tim or someone with more knowledge can chime in on this leak... Thankfully, my only "water leaks" are the top of my windshield when it rains
    Oh I'm familiar with the fuse box, have chased down a couple electrical gremlins in my time lol. I just remember reading a leak from behind the glovebox has been known to make its way to the fuse box and wreak havoc but can't remember the details. I don't think there's an incredible amount of rust under my windshield but definitely some, so windshield washer nozzles could well be the culprit