Thread: Previa Stereo Options

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 Toyota Previa

Previa Stereo Options

Hello!

I just bought a 1995 Toyota Previa. It has the original 4" stereo system with a radio, 6-CD changer, and tape deck. Looks like this:
    s-l1600.jpg

Unfortunately only the radio works. I don't care whether the CD player works, but I did take it apart the tape deck to try and fix it. The circlip that holds one of the reel pins came off as did the spring that pushes it up so it can turn the tape reel, both lost, so the pin does not move the tape. I could probably fix it if I had a replacement circlip and spring, but I do not and they are obviously very specifically sized, tiny parts. So I have only radio and no mechanism for an aux input (tape adapter).

I would like to keep the stock stereo if I can because it looks nice, but I need an aux input. Those bluetooth devices that connect to your stereo via radio signal sound pretty bad, I'd like a real, wired aux input. Are there any ways to do it? I saw some soldering hacks online, but both require wiring into the cd or tape input meaning those have to be running for your signal to work-- I can't do that. Is there another way?

If it's not possible, are there good places to source stock previa stereos with working tape decks that will fit?

What are the aftermarket options? What's needed to make them work?

Thanks!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Previa Stereo Options

The factory Previa radios were nice when they worked, but they used crummy capacitors and most of the stock radios crapped out after ~ 10 years. So even if you're able to fix the tape deck, the caps will probably fail soon. Because double din is fairly common I'm pretty sure you can find a new double din radio for a reasonable price. You could also get a single din radio that suits your budget and your needs, then get a kit to make it look nice. When I did mine I used one of THESE.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4WD Manual

If you want to maintain the "look", you can also look for "newer" Toyota radios that use the same connectors (remember to pay attention to the backlight color, if that matters to you, as they often come in either green or orange/red). I had a Lexus radio and then a 4Runner or Tacoma radio in my '87 Van before I finally opted for a regular aftermarket radio.

Not sure if you'll get anything new enough to have an Aux input built-in, but if you find one that has an external CD changer option, then there are often adapters available that will be plug and play using the CD changer input.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4WD Manual

Here is one example of the adapter I mentioned. Under the "Compatibility" tab, you'll see the vehicle radios you'd want to look for if you wanted to go this route.
    https://gromaudio.com/store/aux1_ada...tereo-kit.html