Thread: Front and rear A/C and heat do not work

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

Front and rear A/C and heat do not work

Hey all! Owner of a 1986 van wagon, when I bought the van a few months back it had no a/c or heat in front or rear, and neither blowers push any air. After reading through the forums I couldn’t quite figure out exactly where to start so i thought I’d post. The guy I bought it from said the rear never worked when he had it, and the person replaced the rear blower motor to no avail. He also said that switching the blower motor resistor for the front would fix it. Before I start ordering parts, does that sound like a good place to start? Or is there something else I should check first? Super excited to be a part of the community! Thanks all!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Masterace surf 4x4

Re: Front and rear A/C and heat do not work

Hi mate same problem I normally start with the relay to make sure the compressor us in fact turning on. Any idea where the ac relay is guys?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I hate to see someone potentially waste money so I would suggest starting with checking the fuse first if you haven't done that yet and then a test light to confirm you have power at both sides of the fuse as well as to the resistor. The fans should work on high but none of the lower speeds when the resistor is completely burned out. If there is no power at the fuse then trace the circuit back until you find power. If no power at the resistor then do the same there. I believe his is one of the common problems caused by the back of the fuse panel melting. There is also a resettable relay above the fuse panel for both fans as well but these require power from the fuse.
    A quick search for "heater resistor" and "heater relay" produced several results with pic and diagrams that should be helpful to both of you. And as far as the A/C relay? It has no bearing on the operation of the blower fan. Quite the opposite in fact, the A/C only comes on when the A/C button is depressed and the fan is on. So get your blower fans figued out first and then move on to the A/C.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Masterace surf 4x4

What a legend mate didn't think I'd get a reply. My problem is the ac compressor clutch won't kick it when the switch is turned on. The heater blow we works perfect just can't get the clutch to kick it. I'll try bypass the resistor maybe thanks I'll research those links 👍

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Ok. The OP specified problems with no blower fans. If your fans are turning on then the resistor should have no bearing on your issue.
    For starters, any information I can provide applies to USDM vans and may or may not apply to yours. If you have a separate A/C switch than both the fan switch and A/C switch should be on. The light on the the A/C switch should be illuminated. If that is happening thw next rhing I would check is if there is enough refrigerant pressure in the system. There is a pressure switch that will inhibit compressor function if there is not enough pressure in the system.
    There's some good information in the following links. I'm sure there are others as well, you'll just have to search the sight.
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...light=Recharge
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...light=Recharge

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

thanks so much friend! Can’t wait to get this tackled asap, I will report back!