Thread: Tachometer Fault Tracking - 89 Master Ace Diesel

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon 2CT Auto 4x4

Tachometer Fault Tracking - 89 Master Ace Diesel

Hello all,

I have a mostly non-working, sometimes intermittent tachometer. I want to check if the tachometer is getting the signal it should from the pickup sensor. (From what I understand the pickup sensor for the Master Ace diesel is on the fuel pump, and I'd like to check the tachometer side before I attempt to exhume the fuel pump.)

Does anyone have information on the pin outs on the combination meter on an 89 Master Ace 2C-T? (Looking specifically of course for the tachometer signal.) The US combination meter has an 8 pin connector and two 10 pin connectors, while the Master Ace has an 8 pin connector and two 12 pin connectors.

I have the US van repair manual, US van electrical wiring manual, and 2C-T repair manual; but they don't cover these JDM differences.

I've attached a pic of the back of the Master Ace combination meter and the US pin outs.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 Van LE

Re: Tachometer Fault Tracking - 89 Master Ace Diesel

How good is your russian? ;)
    I found this picture online, the one the user points to google translates to 'tachometer'

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thanks Jan!

I tested that port, but got nothing out of it. My tach was working at the time, so I don't think that port on my van is signal or power for the tach.

However, I did find a tach signal on pin 4 of the vertical connector.

Now I'll wait until my tach doesn't work again, and then test for tach signal. If the signal is still there, I'll open up the tach and see if the capacitors are starting to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

How do you like your oscilloscope? I used to have an old FMC Engine Analyzer with o-scope that was the size of a small car but didn't use it enough to justify the floor space. I've been thinking about getting a handheld one for diagnostic use for awhile. Do you mind sharing brand and model and any good or bad thoughts on it's performance?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

This one is one of the cheapest on Amazon. I've only used it once for this really. It appears to be ok, but it certainly feels cheap and the leads are short.

It only comes with an AC adapter, no battery, but it is 9V in, so you could buy or build a 9V battery cable for it.

Time will tell how long it will last.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081Q2KDJT...roduct_details

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Thanks for the info and the quick reply