Thread: Where (if there is actually any) can I locate the inertia switch? 94 Toyota Previa LE

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Previa LE (1994)

Where (if there is actually any) can I locate the inertia switch? 94 Toyota Previa LE

I believe it is also known as the "fuel pump shutoff switch". The car engine is naturally aspirated.

Background: Our fuel pump is not receiving power to send fuel to the engine. We tested the fuses, the main relay, and the circuit opening relay before doing anything - they all still work. We also checked all the visible wires. We then decided to take down the fuel tank, only to discover that the pump itself is still good. Now we are quite at a loss. Does this model of the Previa have any inertia switch? And where the heck is it located?

Is there something else about the vehicle that we should check? If possible, good pictures are always best.

Thank you!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa

Re: Where (if there is actually any) can I locate the inertia switch? 94 Toyota Previ

On the likely chance that the 94 wiring is like the 91 wiring in this regard, I'm attaching the 91 Engine Control EWD, which will allow you to test the system, not the pieces. As you can see on page 53, a switch in the MAF meter enables latching the Circuit Opening relay when there is airflow, or disables that relay (thus killing the fuel pump) when it does not detect airflow. You may want to check out that switch.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Previa LE (1994)

Re: Where (if there is actually any) can I locate the inertia switch? 94 Toyota Previ

Looks promising, thank you.