Thread: what other 15" rims fit a Previa/rim specs

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

what other 15" rims fit a Previa/rim specs

Had a bit of a run-in with something you shouldn't run into, and I'm pretty certain at least one and maybe two of my aluminum rims are toast. I know the two tires (215/65r15, brand new in August) are toast. Kind of an urgent situation here, where I had planned to head cross country tomorrow and be back to work next week. That probably ain't gonna happen now...

I'm hoping to just hit the nearest junkyard for the cheapest steel rims that will fit for the ride back but not sure what else would be a good match. Quick search tells me "high offset" rims are needed...anyone have the 15" rim specs?

Probably gonna take until Friday to get matching tires...I hope a few hundredths of an inch difference in tread wear won't kill my diff...I think I have about 8000 miles on them. And I hope I didn't cause any more serious damage to linkage or wheel bearings.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Re: what other 15" rims fit a Previa/rim specs

I'm seeing

• Center Bore / Hub Bore: 60.1 mm

Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x114.3 (5x4.5)
    offset 48-52mm

Sound right? Good

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

PHEW! My damaged rims are usable. Cancel 1/2 of the emergency.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

But, I just discovered that my spare rim has the wrong offset, it seems. So I still need to find a rim. I can only tighten the nuts about 3 full turns before they bottom out.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

This is a good site for rims...

https://www.wheel-size.com

You can search by vehicle to find your specs, then search by rim size to find other vehicles with wheels which will fit. Stick with centerbore and bolt pattern specs, but you can go up to a 7.5" rim width and down to a 45 offset (but don't use a 45 offset with anything wider than a 215 tire width).

Don't necessarily restrict yourself to 15s either. You can use 16s without the sidewall of the tires getting too low, and since you seem to be running into things you shouldn't, staying with a decent size sidewall might be good! Don't go less than 45mm offset, over 27.1" overall diameter (with tire) or 215 tire width or you risk clearance problems (see link at the end).

You'll find that Toyota and Lexus have the majority of the rims which will be usable without having to get centerbore adapters or sacrifice offset..
    My favorite plug and play stock wheels (with tires) are 2004-2010 Sienna 16s and they're readily available at yards. With the tires on they are 1" bigger diameter than Previa stock but the rims have a 50 offset which isn't that common. If you don't like that idea, or generally changing rim widths and overall diameters slightly, I'd just try to find the original 15" Prev wheels and stick with those.

This is a good site for comparing tires... https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    Last edited by Jonny; 04-08-2024 at 10:20 PM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

That first link is where I found the specs. I just bought these new 215/65 15's last year so that's what I'll be sticking with for now. Somewhere in the back of my mind I've toyed with the idea of lifting it and putting larger rims on, but I'm not sure I'll ever be up for it. But that wouldn't be until I wear these tires out.

Unfortunately there are only 2 salvage yards near me and neither thinks they have a rim that will fit. I'm not going to buy a new one just for a spare. So once my two new tires come I will be driving cross country without a functional spare, but I'll be running 2 brand new and 2 almost-new tires so I should be fine if nothing jumps in front of me. I have plenty of spares when i get home.

I just hope the previous clown-owner didn't put on different studs or something.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    This is a good site for rims...

https://www.wheel-size.com

You can search by vehicle to find your specs, then search by rim size to find other vehicles with wheels which will fit. Stick with centerbore and bolt pattern specs, but you can go up to a 7.5" rim width and down to a 45 offset
    I checked the alloy rim and it says ET38, which presumably means 38 mm offset. I won't know what the steelie offset is until I take it off when my new tires arrive, assuming it's even stamped on the back. But there must be a reason I can't get lug nuts on it far enough to feel safe. I even bought a more stock-looking nut to try out and it did no better. Oh well.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

i couldn't find any writing on the back of the steel rim when I took it off and put the new tires in. I sure hope i don't need a spare before i get back home, where I can compare it to known Previa steelies. I always carry a plug kit and mini compressor.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Usually steel wheels have the specs stamped into the wheel lip.
    jzFcKl9.jpg

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I looked but didn't find. But the rim is also extremely dusty and crusty after years under the back end. I didn't have a wire brush with me on my travels.

But now I'm back home and can compare it to the other 5 or 6 Previa steelies I have, which, on first glance anyway, look pretty much the same. I have much more important things to do though, for now.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I can't find any markings on the rim, or on any of my other steel Previa rims. But they all look identical, down to the rust and peeling finish. But I did find a thick caked on layer of grit on the inside of the suspect rim that might have prevented it from seating fully when I put it on. I wasn't terribly worried since I only put it on to make the van look less abandoned when it sat in a parking lot for 5 days. I'll have to test my theory one of these weeks.