I'm trying to decide whether to rebuild or re-ring this engine-
It is a Used engine with lots of power-I overheated it last summer for a few minutes then poured water in it while it was steaming-probably a bad Idea. Supposedly it has around 130,000 mileage-which I agree because the exhaust manifold is still intact and they crack around 150K I've heard. I never checked the compression after I over-heated it but it drove strong, besides loosing coolant out the overflow.
Took the head to the machinist and he said it had a blown Headgasket(on the #4 cylinder), was cracked beyond repair and that my oil consumption(going through a quart at LEAST every thousand miles) was probably a stuck ring in the #4 cylinder-what Tim said from looking at my pictures. I brought him another head that needed to be rebuilt completely.
The machinist said I should just re-ring the engine and put it back together and call it good.
I asked if I should bring him the block to check if it's warped or cracked and check if it's within spec and he said it's fine, just re-ring it, they don't warp easily.
This guy works on high horsepower Supra engines and he seems to know his Toyota's and has worked on the 4y before.
I'm inclined to do what he says-mainly because I don't have a bunch of micrometers and calipers and have never rebuilt an engine-even though Timsrv's blog makes it look so easy-although I know otherwise.

Ill probably just re-ring it, and change the main and rod bearings and check the bores and deck.
From what I've read on internet forums of all different cars, If you're going to re-ring an engine, you may as well have it rebuilt, bore cylinders, new everything, etc.

Anyone have any insights?
thanks,
aaron.