Thread: The Fan Clutch (clutch fan / fluid coupling) Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Fan / fluid coupling (fan clutch)

I don't know of a way to test a clutch fan other than installing and testing like shown in post #5. Personally, due to having multiple clutch fan failures, I don't trust used ones, nor would I waste my time installing. After dealing with that AM Hayden, I won't waste my time with AM fan clutches anymore either. I've been running the Aisin now for over 20k miles and it's still performing well.

As to your temp gauge question, they are not always going to read the same. To get a baseline on your gauge, warm the van up and put a meat thermometer in the fill port (be careful removing the cap as it might be under pressure). The van should be running between 180° - 200° F and your van's temp gauge should read between 1/4 - 1/2 travel. Assuming you're in this range (both measurements) then this is the norm for your van (make a mental note). If however your van is running below 180°, then you may have a stuck or missing thermostat. If the temp is good but the gauge is off, you may need a new sender or perhaps a new gauge. I personally like the digital Koso gauges as they are very easy to read, accurate, and inexpensive (around $40). You can find them on Amazon. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

...thanks Tim,
    ,,that's a great way to calibrate the temp gauge and an Aisin fan clutch on it's way

...edit,, just called the local Toyo parts place about a thermostat,,, he said there's only one model,, opens at 203F, closes @180F ...that seems high for opening,, in fact I checked the thermo's I had and the toyo parts one was 180,, I'd go with your #'s Tim,,,
    ....but isn't it true that there's both summer & winter models?
    Last edited by micah202; 05-16-2016 at 03:40 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Use Toyota #90916-03046 180° F T-stat. The gasket you need is #16325-63010. Here's a good write-up that Gwen made that should help you replace it: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...n-s-thermostat. Have fun . Tim

BTW, the Toyota T-stat begins to open @180° and depending on several factors may not fully open. If temp keeps rising, it will become fully open @ ~ 200° F. This is the only T-stat I use, and I use it year round.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

My fan roars while revving at startup. However, I am not hearing it roar or seeing a change in speed once the van is at normal operating temperature driving around town, immediately stopping and lifting the lid to rev again. New fan clutch in my future?

My engine recently got hot driving up some grades in 95F heat so I have been trying to work on the cooling system. I have replaced the radiator cap and plan on putting in a new Toyota thermostat with AISIN gasket. I also ordered this electric pusher fan: Spal 30101505 12" Straight Blade Low Profile Fan. I think at first I may just wire in a relay and switch directly to the battery so I can turn the pusher fan on and off from the dash for those more extreme situations. I can also use it to cool the engine bay down a little after turning the engine off. Researching the thermostat fan controllers online it seems like they are pretty hit or miss. They either fail often or people have issues getting them to activate the fan at the right temperatures. The flexalite one that seems the most reliable is over $100 and making my cooling system more robust is already going to be a multiple hundreds of dollars ordeal. Not sure if I should dig into replacing the water pump quite yet. Not quite ready to have the van down while waiting for my radiator to be recored or figuring out using the Griffin Aluminum one VanCo used. I am sure it needs it all though.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

The clutch fan is not designed to engage at "NORMAL" operating temperatures. Your engine will have to get pretty warm for it to kick in and then it is a varied degree of engagement relative to the air temperature coming off the radiator. According to Haydens website, a thermal fan clutch "Engages at about 170° radiator air temperature, (about 30° lower than coolant temperature)." I believe this would be the temp of the beginning stage of engagement. You likely won't get full engagemnet and roar until 10-20 degrees higher.

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

That makes sense, though I rewatched Tim's video and tried to replicate it with my van and it seems like I am not getting any roar like his. I guess I was assuming (wrongly?) that since my cooling system seems to be on the weak side that revving at a standstill would make the fan roar. I ordered an AISIN clutch to replace mine anyway just in case, no idea how old this one is. Also ordered new Gates upper and lower radiator hoses.
    Last edited by LightBlueToy; 07-28-2017 at 04:39 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

You can't go wrong with the Aisin fan clutches. Anymore, if/when I get another van with unknown history, considering the importance of this component, I would replace with a new Aisin and consider it preventive maintenance. I'd also replace the thermostat (just because) as I feel it's cheap insurance and makes me feel more secure about getting to where I'm going. BTW, that Aisin fan clutch I installed (earlier this thread) has over 40k trouble free miles on it now and is still working flawlessly.

Regarding the roar when hot, that will depend upon air temp coming out of the radiator. I'm not sure about actual air temps, but suspect it to be somewhere in the range original claims. Since there is a direct correlation between water temp and air temp, I would expect the fan to be 100% engaged @ around 200 deg F coolant temp. You can either put an aftermarket temp gauge on the van (to monitor) or you can put a meat thermometer in the coolant fill neck. Just remember that you're dealing with potentially dangerous stuff here. Keep your hands out of the belts and fan blades! Also be aware that removing the fill cap can result in scalding injuries. So please take appropriate precautions to protect yourself..........or just don't risk it! Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Ivory 1987 Manual 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Use Toyota #90916-03046 180° F T-stat. The gasket you need is #16325-63010.
    is Aisin OEM Toyota? or is Aisin aftermarket? ordering a few things from rock auto, but am confused on what's aftermarket or not. is toyota OEM only available from toyota?

getting the aisin fan clutch and figured it'd be a good idea to replace some things that haven't been done while I have the chance to. (i have very limited mechanic experience.. which is probably obvious haha) should i replace the coolant hoses or anything else just for good measure or inspect them first? or since the fan clutch is confirmed not working, should i do that first and then see where my temp gauge is at before replacing anything else? i don't really have time to waste as this is already effing up my plans, but I want to be thorough so i'm not having ANY overheating issues since I'm heading to the south.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: The Fan Clutch (clutch fan / fluid coupling) Thread

Toyota buys parts from several outside manufacturers. Denso and Aisin are two of the big ones. Denso and Aisin make parts for other manufacturers as well (not exclusive to Toyota). In many cases, when you purchase parts from Toyota, The only difference is you'll get a red box that says "Toyota" AND you'll likely pay much more $$$. For this reason, whenever I can purchase OE equivalent parts at discount prices that's what I'll do. In the case of this clutch fan, Aisin was the original supplier to Toyota, so Aisin/Toyota are essentially the same.

IMO, if you still have any original hoses they should be replaced. It's your risk though and also your budget, so use your best judgement. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtritual View Post
    as this is already effing up my plans,.
    If I don't want anything effing up my plans, I make sure to plan around a thirty two years old appliance
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 2WD Van 96 Previa SC (RIP)

Can anyone who has driven both a TV and a Previa confirm for me that the fan on the TV should sound, at startup, like that of a Previa? B/c I have never heard that fan roar from my new-to-me TV. I recognize it from the fan-clutch-related YouTube videos, though.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Due to several variables the sound would be a bit different, but yes, both are clutch fans and should have a roar at start-up that goes away after a few good revs.