Thread: decision on engine swap?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd manual 87 4wd manual 87 4wd auto 87 4wd auto

Re: decision on engine swap?

tim, thanks for all the advice and i will start looking around and doing research, sorry i know im bein lazy, just a plus actually getting response, i had been checkin out TVP the last year or so and like you said theres not much activity there. last i checked there domain was expired.
    thanks again.

bb, for the tip on tach, seems like aftermarket tach is super easy with that service wire connection on dizzy. i already have a new wire channel goin from cowling for hi-fi stereo, manual reverse light switch, push button starter and so couple more wires no biggy. besides if i put a new engine in her i should be able to get odometer over half million and that would be cool. "oh whatta feelin,TOYOTA"
    BTW what kinda T4WD do you have?
    When is your sis gonna be around Cali? (for parts exchange)

steve

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

I rather swap in a 3C-T engine or some other suitable diesel engine.... better MPGs, more torque... the liteace did come with a 2C-T, so it's not an impossible swap considering you can use most of the parts to make it work
    the Y engines in the vans weren't known to make a lot of power lol

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I never liked Toyota's diesel engines. Back in the 80's and early 90's when I worked for Toyota we probably had 10 or so customers with diesel engines (most were in trucks). These things would eat injector pumps and every time it was a $2,000 repair. Not sure how the 2C-T & 3C-T compare, but I don't like the idea of timing belts (which they both have). When the timing belt breaks, so does the cam shaft (and that's if you're lucky). If you're unlucky, you might end up with a valve in a piston. Even if that never happens, something eventually will & finding parts for these sucks. The only way I'd consider a Toyota diesel would be if I had an endless supply of cooking oil to burn. Just my 2 cents. Tim