Thread: Fuel gauge not working?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Re: Fuel gauge not working?

I'm wondering if the sending unit is the same across multiple applications and only the arm varies.

Do you know proper resistance values full and empty for a good unit. It would be easy to test against another new part.

Also, how many inches does then end of the arm travel on the van sending unit?

It would be easy to weld the end of the van arm onto another sending unit.

I aim to replace my fuel pump soon. I want to do it all in one shot and be set for the next 100,000 mi. Like you, I value my time over doing the job twice.

And why no aftermarket support?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Aftermarket companies target markets that bring good sales. Parts that fit multiple year, make, model vehicles are typically where they focus. Specialty parts that don't sell well and/or only fit a small range of vehicles are not something they want to waste time with. These sending units would fall into this category. That being said, they do make universal sending units and it's possible one of these could be made to fit. When things get beyond repair and used parts dry up (we're almost there), then such repairs will be required. Until then it just makes more sense to repair or find stuff in salvage yards.

The range of resistance is ~3 ohms (empty) to ~110 ohms (full). Resistance values for both 4wd & 2wd are the same, so I would speculate the difference in sending units might be with the float arm (4wd tanks are physically different from 2wd tanks).

I don't have any of these currently laying around so I can't measure arms. If you can still get this for a 2wd, then I'd probably get one and compare when the tank is removed. Then rework/modify as required. Be sure to share what you find out! Thanks. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Here is a toyota fuel sender for as little as $30.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-Toyota-Matrix-fuel-level-sensor-sender-unit-Part-83320-02050-OEM-/331087738319?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item4d165df5cf&vxp=mtr

The resistor box looks like the one in your picture.
    I would just have to get the Full angle and Empty angle to match the van and mount it to the lid.

The wire diagram in the manual says the van sender is only 2 wires.
    I asked about the 2wd part # when discussing the NLA status with some vendors. The 2wd unit is also NLA.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, who knows. I just placed an order with Toyota today. 8 out of the 12 parts ordered are NLA. These are things I need now. I've got the dash apart and the windshield out. Would really like to put new spray nozzles and wiper parts in. I'm having my parts guy look into ordering stuff from Japan, but probably no dice there either. So I'm likely stuck with adapting something else or finding good used ones in a salvage yard. That's not an option now though as there have been zero 86 - 89 vans in the Portland area yards for months now. There is currently 1 85 van at the Sherwood, OR Pick-N-Pull, but that's it. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

I would like to go this route.
    VDO 226-164 - VDO Fuel Tank Sending Units
    http://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/226-164/10002/-1

I just need to find it locally so it can be returned easily if it doesn't work out.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, that's a universal aftermarket like I was referring to above. I've rigged these up before and these are adjustable (depth of tank and length of float arm), so you should be able to come up with an acceptable travel. Ohms are close enough so empty would be correct. It might only go up to 3/4 on the gauge when full, but it's empty that's important. If having it read full is an issue you could probably adjust a bit with a resistor, but probably not worth the effort. I'm thinking the hole in the tank would be too big, so you'd probably need to fab an adapter disc. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

I'm dropping my tanks to swap the pump and sensor and clean it out. Lots of chunks cam out when I pulled the drain plug.
    Hopefully I'll be able to find an equivalent level sensor.

Right now i cant break the fuel lines that have compression fittings. I have flair nut wrenches but the small side still wants to round over.
    I tried a crows foot wrench and an impact. no love.

Any words of wisdom tim???

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota cargo van 2wd manual

Quote Originally Posted by coronan View Post

I just need to find it locally so it can be returned easily if it doesn't work out.

Did you end up going with the universal fuel level sensor or has anyone found a oem one thats not discontinued?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Ooph, gettin desperate. The actuator arms are totally worn on both gauge senders I have.
    Is there a fix for those?

Otherwise,, someone mentioned this gauge unit above,, but no mention of success or otherwise.

Is this the correct Ohm Range? Worth a try @ ~$50 shipped?
    0-90 ohms

With Low Fuel Warning Contact

https://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/226-164/10002/-1

Quote Originally Posted by garythe86toyota View Post
    Did you end up going with the universal fuel level sensor or has anyone found a oem one thats not discontinued?
    Originally Posted by coronan