Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
To drain the block you don't need to remove freeze plugs, just take the 14 mm brass bolt/plug loose (circled in above picture) and the block will drain. This is a tapered brass plug that seals itself on the taper when it's tightened back up, so very little chance of creating a leak by taking it out and putting it back in. The bad part is access. It can be frustrating (especially on a 4wd) but not impossible to get it in/out (this is due to the terrible placement between the alternator and motor mount).

Here's a post I made a while back explaining how to flush: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...=2735#post2735
Hey Tim, I just yesterday did a flush, but not quite as thoroughly as I would have liked (I couldn't find the 5/8 tee you mentioned in your writeups so I just put the hose in the radiator fill cap and ran it until the water came out clear after draining, closed everything back up, ran it for 15 minutes with water and a flush solution, drained again, "flushed" again, filled with water, ran for 15 minutes, drained and refilled with coolant and distilled water, but for some reason I only managed to get just over 5 litres in including filling the overflow tank to the full line. Is there some kind of reservoir that I could somehow have failed to drain? There was a fair bit of scale in the coolant I flushed but no rust, didn't strike me as horribly severe corrosion. I replaced the greenish yellow coolant the PO had put in with Beck Arnley red toyota coolant so I wanted to be sure I got all the green stuff out, and I'm pretty sure I did, but if there's almost 3 litres of mystery liquid (either coolant or undistilled hose water) I'm a little concerned. Any ideas? Thanks!